We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe, non touristy areas to stay in Puerto Rico

Buffalo, New York...
5 posts
Save Topic
Safe, non touristy areas to stay in Puerto Rico

I would like to experience the island with my children in its natural state, not in a place over taken by tourists. I have 4 children and would like a smaller town setting, probably in the west side of the island. I do realize the island has many issues right now with drug trafficking, I do also know to use common sense. Thanks!

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe, non touristy areas to stay in Puerto Rico

Culebra Island or Vieques Island.

Edited: 26 December 2012, 19:06
usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe, non touristy areas to stay in Puerto Rico

IMO Culebra is the safest of the two. If you don't want to leave the main island, then Rincon on the west coast.

Edited: 26 December 2012, 19:10
King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,533 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe, non touristy areas to stay in Puerto Rico

I agree. Rincon is the best choice if you prefer to stay on the main island. From there you can take day trips to the beaches in Cabo Rojo.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
162 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe, non touristy areas to stay in Puerto Rico

CaboRojo is a good option, but i must say that the occurrence of any criminal activity is as much of an issue in San Juan as it is in every major city, meaning that one should always use their best judgment and common sense when venturing in areas not commonly used by residents or tourists. Drug trafficking is very common even in USA the fact that the mayor news channels hardly make a mention of it is a different subject.

Buffalo, New York...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe, non touristy areas to stay in Puerto Rico

Where we are from is the 5th most dangerous city in the US but we dont feel afraid, like you said common sense should tell us what to avoid. I was just looking into cabo rojo right now, Rincon was our first choice so I find it funny those were the 2 mentioned. Thanks guys! Just feel like there is so much to see and would like to be centrally located.

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
491 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe, non touristy areas to stay in Puerto Rico

Culebra and Vieques were very touristy. We stayed in Luquillo in a condo and everyone was Puerto Rican.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe, non touristy areas to stay in Puerto Rico

From Rincon you can visit:

Cueva Ventana

Rio Camuy Caverns

Arecibo Observatory

Mayaguez Zoo

Cabo Rojo lighthouse

El Combate Beaches

Boqueron Beach + the town

San German (one of the oldest towns in PR + Porta Coeli, the 3rd oldest church in the western hemisphere which is now a museum)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe, non touristy areas to stay in Puerto Rico

And Lajas, Guanica, and Coffing Island in Ponce.

Rincon,PR
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe, non touristy areas to stay in Puerto Rico

For Rincon have a look at:

www.rincon.org

www.rinconpr.com

www.surfrinconpr.com

www.rinconvacations.com

Rincon, is a Small town, with a lot to se and do.

Enjoy!

10. Re: Safe, non touristy areas to stay in Puerto Rico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 December 2012, 23:35
Edited: 27 December 2012, 23:35