We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bio bay - will be there with big/full moon, worth it?

MK2
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
163 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
bio bay - will be there with big/full moon, worth it?

Will be traveling from a Monday to Monday. There will be a full moon on the Weds that we are there, so I know this is not an optimal time to see the bio bay...but I can't control the moon and I can't change my travel dates ;) just wondering if anyone has experiences the bio bay with a bigger/brighter moon and if it would be worth the money and time. was planning on the bio bay in Fajardo. thank you.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bio bay - will be there with big/full moon, worth it?

I do have experience, as I used to have a biobay company in Vieques. The days just leading up to the full moon are the worst but starting either the day after or definitely the second day after the full moon conditions will be great, as what counts is whether the moon is in the sky or not, not just how full it is.

Look at a moon chart to see what time the moon rises on the days after the full moon. www.golden-heron.com/moon.html .

Having said this, kayaking in the lagoon with a bright moon in the sky is a marvelous experience as long as your expectations are not just about how bright the bioluminescence is!

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bio bay - will be there with big/full moon, worth it?

Yes, - go on March 29 (early trip), 30th or 31st (either trip) and it will be great viewing. Looks like that moon calendar is not updated with March 2013 yet, but the moon rises late those dates, so you are fine.

3. Re: bio bay - will be there with big/full moon, worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2014, 05:17