We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coffee?

OHIO
Level Contributor
227 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Coffee?

What are the food local coffee we should look out for? We love our morning coffee! Also, is there a particular brand of beer that is good? Thanks!

Cleves, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coffee?

We bought some Yaucano coffee for our morning coffee at the Amigo grocery store. It was pretty good. Comes in a yellow package that is vac packed. Also bought a can of Alto Grande to bring home.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
39 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coffee?

the best coffee I have tried in my island is Gran Batey unfortunately you don't find it everywhere. They have a little coffee plantation on the town of Utuado where you could take a mini tour of their plantation and see the process of how they process the seed and then a taste of the coffee. Lovely family. They are near the Indigenous Ceremonial Center of Caguana, so if you have time to make a roadtrip I will recommend this hands down. Very educational and informative, both places.

After taking their tour you would understand that what we buy in supermarkets isn't good grade coffee. Very interesting.

https://www.facebook.com/cafegranbatey…

https:/…

OHIO
Level Contributor
227 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coffee?

Wow, that sounds like a fun idea ... Would they be tolerant of a 5 and 2 1/2 year old on the tour? How far is it from Isabela?

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
7,942 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coffee?

Cafe Crema is also very good.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
39 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coffee?

most definitely, they are a lovely sweet attentive family. IWe went during a hiking trip in the Tanama River area (cave tubing, it was an amazing experience) and the guide took us there. We have visited 3 times since to buy the coffee (it is that good) and always sit with them and hear their stories about how it all started. They also have orange trees and they let you pick some to take home. very sweet! When they begin toasting the coffee and you smell that aroma, like chocolaty so good!! Some many things to do here in PR, some many things for me left to see still. I love my island! From Isabela to Utuado maybe about 1 1/2 hour. There is a part of the road that has lots of curves so maybe someone might get dizzy, I do. If you want more details on what road to take write me again I could ask my husband for better directions.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Coffee?

Pretty much any coffee that you buy in a Puerto Rican supermarket is going to be really, really good. Yaucono, Crema, and Cafe Rico are good. My favorite is Alto Grande.

Bedford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coffee?

I have had PR coffees sent to the US for decades.

As long as they ship it USPS, it is surprisingly affordable.

Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
170 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coffee?

In terms of a local beer, Medalla is pretty good. If you're in Old San Juan, theres a local micro-brewery, Old Harbor Brewery that I also enjoy.

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coffee?

My favorites are; Alto Grande and Yauco Selecto.

OHIO
Level Contributor
227 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coffee?

Thanks all! Can't wait to pick my way through the store, then hopefully head out to Gran Batey!