We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ultimate Honeymoon - Thoughts and Tips on Itinerary

Rincon, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
113 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Ultimate Honeymoon - Thoughts and Tips on Itinerary

Hey Everyone!

I have used Trip Advisor to plan out our whole trip! I cannot express how wonderful these forums are for advice and ideas! I believe that I have come up with the ultimate honeymoon in Puerto Rico. I wanted to post it on this thread to get some feedback from you wonderful people...

I want this to be a trip of a lifetiime and don't want to to miss out! If you think I'm missing a sight to see or something that is a must do, please comment!

8 nights in PR

Day 1 - Fly in late to San Juan at 630pm and drive on over to catch the 830pm Bio Bay tour on the last day of a decently dark night. Staying at Ceiba Country Inn.

Day 2 - Fly over to Vieques and pick up jeep rental. Spend all day exploring Vieques snorkeling/hiking. Staying at Casa Mirador. Dinner at El Patio.

Day 3 - Head south to Esperanza and meet up with Esperanza Riding Tours. Horseback ride on black sand beach to say vows and get married. Change out of wedding clothes and eat at Sol Food. Explore southern Vieques beaches. Sunset dinner cruise with Marauder Sailing Charters.

Day 4 - Fly back to PR and have brunch at Las Vistas Cafe. Fly to Culebra and pick up jeep rental. Pick camping spot on Flamenco Beach. Snorkel and camp on beach.

Day 5 - Half day at Tamarindo. Fly back to PR and drive to old San Juan. 2 hours touring OSJ. Dinner at Pizza e Birra and dessert at B+J. Head to Rincon for barrero beach house.

Day 6 - Caving Aventuras Tierra Adentro. Enough said... Dinner at Lazy Parrot.

Day 7 - Breakfast at Banana Dang then fishing with Light Tackle Adventures.

Day 8 - Explore El Yunque rainforest and campout along La Coca or El Yunque trail.

Day 9 - Fly home...

What do ya think?? Thanx for taking the time to read this!

- J

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ultimate Honeymoon - Thoughts and Tips on Itinerary

Wow, I do not see any relaxation time in this itinerary.

On your arrival day, I think you are cutting your times a little too close. If you arrive at 6:30 p.m., you have not allowed margin for error, i.e., your flight arrives late, retrieving your luggage, getting a cab to the car rental agency (which is off the airport grounds), getting your rental car and then getting something to eat before the biobay tour. Then you have to drive an hour to get there and possibly getting lost at night.

To avoid zigzaging I would do El Yunque rain forest on Day 5 after coming back from Culebra and the rest of your itinerary in the order you have it.

Rincon, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
113 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ultimate Honeymoon - Thoughts and Tips on Itinerary

Thanx for your input PRexplorer. I know that the Bio Bay tour is a must do and the night we fly in is the only night we can do it. The remainder of our trip, the moon is too bright... Crossing my fingers we hit everything on time!

boston
Level Contributor
543 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ultimate Honeymoon - Thoughts and Tips on Itinerary

Good luck with all of that. I hope the timing and travel works out. It seems like a jam packed itinerary!

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ultimate Honeymoon - Thoughts and Tips on Itinerary

Congratulations!

I am a non-stop vacationer too, but this schedule is really planned tight, no room for error/problems/rest. PR has really bad traffic during rush hours, service is "relaxed" (slow, very slow). You will need to be very flexible.

I assume this is not your "official" wedding as you don't have the office visit to get the license paperwork mentioned.

I really see the 1st night being a bit of a stress, and I would do some offerings to the traffic gods.....I hate to say it, but I don't think you will make it.

Day 4- I assume you have about 2.5 hours between flights and make sure you get the cab drivers # (or have cafe call one) because there won't be any at the cafe when you need to head back.

Day 5- wow, I am tired just looking at the schedule.

Day 7- did you check with/get permit to camp along the trails? Just a few days ago I think they re-instated the camping moratorium in El Yunque. Maybe it doesn't apply to all trails?

Personally, I would skip one or two of these places and take more time enjoying the ones you are going to.

Rincon, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
113 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ultimate Honeymoon - Thoughts and Tips on Itinerary

Thanx Sox! Gonna be a trip of a lifetime!

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ultimate Honeymoon - Thoughts and Tips on Itinerary

I hope that things work out for you SnakPak48, but the issue is with logistics. Most people are surprised to find that Puerto Rico is much larger than they anticipated and travel times can be much longer than anticipated because of traffic congestion and distance. Travel from San Juan to Rincon is approximately 2.5 hours if there are no traffic jams.

Edited: 16 February 2013, 16:35
Rincon, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
113 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ultimate Honeymoon - Thoughts and Tips on Itinerary

Flower- Thanx for the input. You are correct, we are going to be officially married before we get to PR.

I'm starting to think that flying in at 630, waiting for rental car paperwork and waiting for one checked bag, then driving to Fajardo for the Bio Bay tour by 830 is a bit crazy. I hate to fee rushed so we're gonna ax that from day 1 and move it to Day 2 in Vieques.

Day 4 - We have 3.5 hours between flying back from Vieques and leaving for Culebra so no worries there.

Day 5 - Its a bit nutty but my fiance' must see Old San Juan.

And thank you so much for mentioning the moratorium in El Yunque. You are absolutely correct! So we are gonna replace camping in El Yunque with camping just outside the rainforest. Maybe in or around Fajardo.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ultimate Honeymoon - Thoughts and Tips on Itinerary

Seven Seas Beach in Fajardo is a camp site. It is one of the loveliest beaches in Puerto Rico.

Edited: 16 February 2013, 16:39
Rincon, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
113 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ultimate Honeymoon - Thoughts and Tips on Itinerary

Thanx PRex! I'm looking that beach right now! Living in Colorado, I'm used to hiking out in the middle of nowhere and camping wherever I want. Is this type of camping discouraged on the island?

new york
Level Contributor
68 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ultimate Honeymoon - Thoughts and Tips on Itinerary

Parasail while you are in Rincon, and if you get a chance visit La Copa Llena for a sunset dinner on the Ocean.