We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

March trip--lots of questions!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
March trip--lots of questions!

My sister and I are planning at trip to Puerto Rico for 5 days at the beginning of March. We want to see Old San Juan, go to either Culebra or Vieques, go ziplining in the rainforest, etc. I'm hoping to get some advice on a couple things:

1. Should we rent a car?

2. Where should we stay? We're in our 20s and are looking for something clean, nice and safe, but since we won't spend a lot of time at the hotel, we would like to avoid the 16% resort charges.

3. Should we book zipline excursions in advance? Any recommended companies?

4. Are Culebra and Vieques the best places to see the bioilluminescent bays?

5. Are there any other fun excursions we shouldn't miss in Puerto Rico?

Thanks so much! We're really excited and hoping to make it a great trip!

Elkhart, Indiana
Level Contributor
45 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: March trip--lots of questions!

By no means an expert, we did just return from a week in Puerto Rico and I can answer a few of your questions.

First, yes, rent a car. It will make your life a lot easier. That said, I found my GPS (tom tom) did not always work as well there as I would have liked to. It did not always recognize the addresses we tried to imput.

We did not go to Vieques, so I can not speak regarding the biobay there. However, we did visit the bay in Fajardo and were very impressed. If logistics are such that getting to Vieques is not easily done, you won't be disappointed going to Laguna Grande in Fajardo. Culebra is a beautiful island worth visiting, but it has no biobay.

I will leave your other questions to others. Enjoy your trip!

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,912 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: March trip--lots of questions!

Addresses like you would use in the States (like 123 Main Street) are virtually non-existent here in PR. GPS devices work best if you use lat/lon coordinates.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: March trip--lots of questions!

The biobay in Vieques is the best of the 3 in PR. The one in Laguna Grande is a great alternative, especially on a moonless or near moonless night. Check the moon calendar: www.biobay.com

I would suggest taking a snorkeling excursion to the outer islands, either the small cays or to Culebra from Fajardo's Marina del Rey marina. I had a rather good experience with East Island Excursions:

www.eastwindcats.com/lightbox/pg-icacos.htm

Zipline excursions, in fact reservations for all tours and excursions should be made in advance.

The best zipline outfit in PR is Toro Verde Zipline in Orocovis (in the central mountains. We did "La Bestia" zipline and I would do it again. It's the best PR has to offer.

http://toroverdepr.com/

You are going to need a rental car in PR to get around, but they are affordable.

Where you stay depends more or less on whether you want to be in the city, the mountains or by the beach and what type of accommodations you desire, i.e., boutique hotel, condo, resort, etc.

Edited: 17 February 2013, 23:49
Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: March trip--lots of questions!

Here goes:

1. A must for what you want to do. Use Avis or Charlies.

2. Rent a condo / villa in the Rain Forest area - Rio Grande / Luquillo / Fajardo. Use HomeAway.com or VRBO.com. Rio Mar resort has good ones on the resort property with no resort fee.

3. Booking popular excursions in advance is highly recommended.

4. The Bio bay in Fajardo is great. Getting to Viequas and back for their bay is a hassle and will eat up a day.

5. Lots - see http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: March trip--lots of questions!

I recommend Enterprise car rental.

6. Re: March trip--lots of questions!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2014, 05:16