We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

With a toddler - Isla Verde vs. Luquillo

Rockford, Illinois
4 posts
Save Topic
With a toddler - Isla Verde vs. Luquillo

Hi there! I'm planning a 6 day trip to Puerto Rico in mid April with my wife and 3 year old son. While y wife and I are experienced travelers, our 3 year old is not (shockingly haha).

It's also our first trip to Puerto Rico and I was wondering if any of you had some input as to which would be a better "base of operations" for our little adventure. Since we'll have our son along, nightlife isn't really a factor. We were considering Luquillo as we enjoy lower-key areas and would like to visit El Yunque but I can also see the value of Isla Verde being closer to Old San Juan. Then again, in my limited research it doesn't seem like anything is THAT far by car.

So, any suggestions to tip the scales one way or another with a toddler would be great. Thanks!

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
491 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: With a toddler - Isla Verde vs. Luquillo

We stayed in Playa Azul complex in Luquillo. It was our "home base" and we went all over during our week there - El Yunque, snorkeling trip to Culebra, Fajardo, Luquillo beach and even drove to Ponce for a day. I think it would be good for kids there. There is a nice pool and playground area, security guards in the gated parking and each building, and a supermarket right across the street for kid necessities. It was also very quiet there. I liked it a lot.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
137 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: With a toddler - Isla Verde vs. Luquillo

I have not stayed at Isla Verde but Luquillo is close by car to SJ. The blue flag beach there is very nice, very calm, and would be perfect with a toddler -- well marked from the road, pay the small entrance fee to the park to get in. We were not there on the weekend and hear that it can be a bit crowded then. Fresh coconut ice cream being sold by a cart vendor was amazing, otherwise the concession food was not inviting so take your own. We just spent some time at the Luquillo Sunrise Inn and were very pleased. It is homey and safe and the staff there is great, provided unlimited beach towels and nice beach chairs and maps and advice. The beach across from the Sunrise is rough, a surfing beach, but there's a nice sidewalk running along it for walks. We ate our meals at the kioskos and enjoyed that as well.

Elkhart, Indiana
Level Contributor
45 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: With a toddler - Isla Verde vs. Luquillo

When we were walking along the beach in Luquillo, were were thinking to ourselves what a great beach this would be for young children. The water is, as mentioned above, very calm. Just as important though, it is VERY shallow out quite a long ways, making it a perfect place for toddlers to play. In interest of full disclosure though, I have not been to Isla Verde, so it may be just as nice for kids - but I will leave that to others.

Rockford, Illinois
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: With a toddler - Isla Verde vs. Luquillo

Thank you all. I've been looking at some of the condos at Playa Azul as our home base and this might just seal the deal...along with that coconut ice cream! Haha.

Edited: 21 February 2013, 22:13
St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
491 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: With a toddler - Isla Verde vs. Luquillo

Just so you know, the beach right in front of Playa Azul is a little more rough than Luquillo Beach. But it's a five minute drive there.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
137 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: With a toddler - Isla Verde vs. Luquillo

Yes, agree with Ruby above -- you want to drive over to the Blue Flag beach which I hear is always calm and flat because of the curve of the land there, where as the other beaches nearby looked pretty rough to me. There are also nice facilities at Luquillo and it seemed very family oriented. I felt more comfortable there than any other beach on PR although we still took some precautions with our things (kept an otter box with me) bc we kept hearing that there was beach theft in general in PR. The other thing we heard was to clear out when the beaches clear out, don't be on the beach at dusk or after due to robberies. I did not hear that about Luquillo, just in general, although it seems to me that I remember a TA post about some crime there back in late Jan, early Feb before my trip. Just be cautious and you should be fine. We kept our city wits about us and were perfectly fine and had a great family vacation.

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: With a toddler - Isla Verde vs. Luquillo

Ditto on all the above. Isle Verde is great if you are into night life which usually gets going after 10 pm and goes well into the morning. It may be less attractive for kids.

8. Re: With a toddler - Isla Verde vs. Luquillo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2014, 06:17