We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip in May or June to Puerto Rico

Fontana, California
3 posts
Save Topic
Planning a trip in May or June to Puerto Rico

Me and my husband will be visiting Puerto Rico in May or June, I really want to see all of Puerto Rico. What is the best way to make that happen? Is it possible to see all of Puerto Rico staying at one hotel, if so what area of Puerto Rico should we stay in. We will be staying for 10 to 12 nights.

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a trip in May or June to Puerto Rico

Puerto Rico is bigger than most Caribbean islands, and it can easily take 3 or 4 hours just to drive from one end to the other. Staying for that duration, I'd suggest planning 2 or 3 different places to stay, depending on the kinds of things you want to see and do.

Plan to stay (in no particular order) in the metro area (Isla Verde, Condado, or Old San Juan), then west or south-west (Rincon, Boqueron, Guanica), then the east (Rio Grande, Luquillo, or Fajardo), and possibly a trip (day or over night) to one of the islands of Culebra or Vieques.

Doing that should give you the best "feel" of PR, and minimize daily driving.

Take a look at our blog … http://www.PRDayTrips.com/ … to find the things that interest you the most. Once you know where those things are located, you'll be able to choose lodging in/near those areas, and you'll be able to craft you own perfect DIY vacation.

Edited: 25 February 2013, 14:14
Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,266 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a trip in May or June to Puerto Rico

I've been going a for the last 30 years and have not seen it all. It's a big island.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a trip in May or June to Puerto Rico

You will need to rent a car of course. It takes 3 to 4 hours driving in a vehicle if one takes the coastal toll roads on either end of the island. The interior roads will not afford that convenience as the roads are hairpin turns from one end to the other which is called the Panoramic route. A visit to part of this route provides beautiful vistas.

It would be best to relocate and lodge in various locations around the island, whether that be the east coast, west coast, the south coast, central mountains or the north coast.

As PR Bob mentioned, you will not see everything on your visit. I too have traveled around the whole island for decades and have not yet seen everything. The island is very diverse.

I find the following website to be very helpful as it features the latest tourism online magazine produced by the Puerto Rico Tourism Company and provides great ideas on lodging, restaurants, activities, etc. all over the island:

caribbeanbusinesspr.com/magman/…index.html

Edited: 25 February 2013, 15:22
usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a trip in May or June to Puerto Rico

By the way, I suggest that you choose the month of May versus June. I was in PR last June and it was very muggy and there was a haze that surrounded the island reducing visibility and obstructed the mountain views.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,071 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a trip in May or June to Puerto Rico

I second RayinPRs advice. check out the website and choose key attractions that you want to see, then plan your trip around the,

If you stay on the west coast for a few days you can check out the caves in Camuy, the satellite in Arecibo, the cava de ventana in Utuada, maybe the ice cream place in Lares. You can also check out Rincon and Isabella. Travel south and east, planning trips along the way. I would go to Humacao or Fajardo, I would definitely go to Vieques for two nights(minimum). Check out the beautiful beaches there, the plantation ruins and the bio bay.

Then head back west to San Juan doing el Yunque on the way. End up in San Juan for the last two days.

Thats a very general suggestion. you should fill in the blanks.

Edited: 25 February 2013, 15:30
Fontana, California
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a trip in May or June to Puerto Rico

Thank you for that information, that website is very helpful.

Fontana, California
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a trip in May or June to Puerto Rico

Thank you, do you recomend booking the hotels in advance or is it pretty easy to get a hotel as you travel place to place.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
49 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning a trip in May or June to Puerto Rico

book in advance. take a look at TJ Ranch, something different, secluded and nice. Also consider staying at Isabela or Rincon, may options there and great beaches

new york
Level Contributor
68 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning a trip in May or June to Puerto Rico

Have you thought of staying in Rincon?

I stayed here:

tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g264369…

Virginia
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning a trip in May or June to Puerto Rico

Rent a car, but get a road map from the Puerto Rican Tourism Agency at the airport or other touristy locations. Think about Ponce too. We loved it there and we were just driving through. There is a lot to explore there too. Do not rent from Thrifty! If you return your car to the airport, it is NOT at the airport but 10 minutes away and they will charge you if you take the car to the airport. It is a hard location to find. The shuttle ONLY takes you to the airport. Also, almost 3 months after renting from them, they charged my credit card again...Told me it was for tolls and renting their Easy Pass...WHAT???!!! Why did no one explain this? I think they find any way to rip you off. Also, their staff is not polite at all! Steer clear of Thrifty.