We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Melia vs Hilton Ponce?

New York City, New...
6 posts
Save Topic
Gran Melia vs Hilton Ponce?

Hi, we are looking at both these places, both seem similar in price, reputation, etc.

Does anyone have a strong preference or suggestion of one over the other? We are looking for relatively quiet, relaxing beach, good food options.

thanks!

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,068 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gran Melia vs Hilton Ponce?

It all depends on how nice you want the beach to be. Melia's is rocky and not swimmable. Ponce Hilton's is ugly: dark sands and water, not recommended to swim in it.

New York City, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gran Melia vs Hilton Ponce?

thanks! any comments on relative cleanliness?

thanks again

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,068 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gran Melia vs Hilton Ponce?

Both resorts are nice: clean, appealing, good pools. I've never stayed at Melia but I have at the Ponce Hilton and the room was nice.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gran Melia vs Hilton Ponce?

The beaches at both location leave a lot to be desired in regard to sand quality, especially. Would you consider the Copamarina Resort on the Caribbean coast just west of Ponce? I've stayed there 2x and it is very laid-back, low-key and relaxing and it's a beautiful area.

Edited: 05 March 2013, 14:50
New York City, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gran Melia vs Hilton Ponce?

thanks for the reccomendation, will take a look.

starting to become concerned about service levels. I don't want to stay at a "beautiful" place if the service is going to be poor.

besides the Copamarina, anyone have any other suggestions in this price range based on the following factors?:

1) average/good service

2) quiet/ relaxed atmosphere

3) good/great food options

thanks!

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gran Melia vs Hilton Ponce?

The Gran Melia has a Tahitian setting with their rooms spread out in Villas on the large property. The large rooms, property and huge pools are two steps above the Ponce Hilton, which is also nice.

The beach at Gran Melia surrounds the peninsula on which it is set bet leaves something to be desired. Most of it is rocky but there are a couple of swimmable spots. The first is a relatively small area behind the large pool. There is also a large beach across from the Trump condos and the golf course. It is slated for future beach club development and you need to have the shuttle carts take you there.

I've stayed at both and the Gran Melia is a better resort. As important as the hotel is the area of the island you want to stay. Ponce is a historic city with great architecture, but is not particularly a location oriented towards visitors. The El Yunque rain forest region is more focused on serving visitors and more interesting things to do. It is also more accessible to San Juan with Old San Juan, restaurants and historic locations. It would be my recommendation to go to Gran Melia.

New York City, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Gran Melia vs Hilton Ponce?

great, thanks so much for the info Armonk! any comments on the food options at Gran Melia?

New York City, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Gran Melia vs Hilton Ponce?

also considering the El San Juan.

anyone else have any opinions on food options for these places?

thanks!

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gran Melia vs Hilton Ponce?

There are several resort type restaurants in the complex. Reasonably good, but nothing to write home about. There are lots of good options in the area as well. The resort is not too far from the Kioskos which are a strip of ~ 40 small restaurants near a beach which range from outstanding to very local. See restaurants in Rio Grande and Luquillo in TA.

New York City, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Gran Melia vs Hilton Ponce?

great, many thanks again for the insight.