We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go, what to do, where to stay?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
636 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go, what to do, where to stay?

Ok, so Puerto Rico looks interesting... the old part in particular. Can't seem to see which beach areas would be best, I would think the Carribbean side however... not so sure. keep seeing Dorado and others pop up.

However, i've been stuck looking at places on Vieques and Culebra!! Those islands look just gorgeous....

If a person only had 2 weeks and was going with 2 other couples, what would people suggest?

We need a 3 BR, at least 3 baths, beachfront - where? Would there be places to walk to to eat & drink, beach bars, etc.? I suppose I should do more research, but as I'm on tripadvisor right now, thought I'd ask.

is it a decent possibility to stay ----- in puerto rico and then hope over to Vieques for a week? Enough time?

Thanks!

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go, what to do, where to stay?

Two weeks is plenty of time to island hop. You can stay on the main island (there are a plethora of options) and you can also go to Vieques and Culebra Islands for a few days each.

new york
Level Contributor
68 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go, what to do, where to stay?

Have you checked out Rincon?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
636 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go, what to do, where to stay?

oops my reply disappeared. Yes - Rincon, Dorado - I really don't know these areas and what they offer - at all.

I really liked Culebra and Vieques and would much rather go there, plant ourselves, and then just head over to the mainland for a night or two. Howevwer if we go with friends, don't think they'll go for that.

Main thing is having a really great little place on a reallygreat beach with things to do within a decent distance. The odd cab ride wouldn't hurt, but we've done this before & with 6 it's a bit awkward.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go, what to do, where to stay?

Most of the real nightlife is in San Juan. There are some really good urban beaches in the city and Old San Juan is a must see on a first visit. The old quarter goes back more than five centuries. There is a lot to see and do there.

You did mention a rental. Most rentals in the Metro Area are high rise condos. I suggest spending some time at a place at one of the beaches in Condado, Ocean Park or Isla Verde. Or you can stay in OSJ. Take a look at these websites:

www.cyberrentals.com

www.homeaway.com

www.vrbo.com

Look at the areas I mentioned above. Ocean Park is more of a residential area and you might find a 3 bedroom house a block from the beach or even beachfront.

From there you can head to Vieques which offers more amenities than Culebra. Or you can visit both.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
636 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go, what to do, where to stay?

awesome thanks that gives me a it more direction! :)

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
636 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go, what to do, where to stay?

Looks like Rincon is clear across the island... I think we would want to be close to San Juan, so we could either walk or have a short cab ride into SJ...... Dorado then? I can't find Ocean Park or Isla Verde on the map but maybe it's just the map I'm using.... Thanks.

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go, what to do, where to stay?

Ocean Park is the area just east of Condado, still in municipal San Juan. Isla Verde is the area further east, near the airport, in the municipality of Carolina. In either area you have easy access to restaurants and nightlife. In Dorado you would be rather isolated.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
636 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go, what to do, where to stay?

Wouldn't want isolation - so to be clear: Ocean Park, Condado, San Juan, or Isla Verde would be good choices then?

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go, what to do, where to stay?

would you be willing to split off from the group and take seperate trips?

one idea is after getting to San Juan and staying a few days, maybe 3, head over to Vieques. Possibly alone. Go to the rental house and settle in get your rental car. spend a few days on the beaches and check the place out. three days later your friends show up. youre used to the place by now and have the low down. this makes your friends stay less stressful and they will want to stay longer. plus now you can all do the bio bay. from this point, you can finish out your week rental and do something else, or if you love it enough, stay.

otherwise, after your week, either head to Culebra for a few days of more amazing beaches. then back to the mainland where you continue your tour of Puerto Rico. head to Ponce for overnight then on to Isabel and Rinco. go to the caves at camuy and the cava de ventana. then head back to san juan to go home.

Vieques is amazing. you can kayak do paddleboarding horse back riding jet ski scuba snorkel or do nothing. just hang out on the beach.it is the perfect place to do nothing. there isnt alot to do at night, its more an early to rise early to bed island.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
636 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to go, what to do, where to stay?

Absolutely! Except the whole point would be the 6 of us going together.... However 2-3 nights in Vieques would be our choice, would have to talk to the others about it..... Things are getting clearer, however, thanks to the wonderful people on TripAdvisor!!! Thanks everyone!