We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PR car rental + vieques car rental?

Sioux Falls, South...
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
PR car rental + vieques car rental?

I'm using the search function to the best of my ability, and I'm finding tons of great info for the trip my wife and I are planning to Puerto Rico. But can anyone give more advice on car rental logistics?

First time going to PR - 9 day trip, going to spend a couple days in SJ, a few days on vieques, a day or 2 near the forest, and a few days in rincon, probably in that order (though it's not set in stone yet if anyone has general advice on the best order to see things). Renting a car obviously, but sounds like a vehicle is pretty much a necessity on vieques, too, if you want to see some of the nicer beaches. I read in a thread somewhere that you can work out some sort of deal with certain car rental companies to give you a discount for having 2 cars rented at once, but I haven't found any more about that. It seems silly to have a car, park it for 3 days in fajardo and then rent a 2nd one in vieques, but I don't know how else to do it logistically. It seems like waiting to rent a car in PR until we come back from vieques is actually more expensive by the time you factor in transportation to and from the island (flying or taxi to fajardo).

Any input is appreciated, also general advice on the trip is always helpful.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,025 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PR car rental + vieques car rental?

Most of the car rental places on Vieques a privatly owned by local residents of Vieques. Avis is the only one I am aware of that is on both islands. Save your trip to Vieques to the end. Rent from a San Juan location. Either stay there or around El Yunque they are within a 45 minute drive of each other. Head to Rincon,then back to San Juan, drop the car, fly out of Isla Grande airport to Vieques return to San Juan then head home.

Cooks, Michigan
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: PR car rental + vieques car rental?

We also rented a car in both places at once. Our main reason was we had golf clubs and extra luggage we did not need for a 2 night stay on Vieques. You are only allowed 25 lbs per person of luggage or pay overage. We just scaled back to what we really needed for the island and traveled light there.

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
14 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PR car rental + vieques car rental?

We are flying into Vieques on Jan. 16th and want a rental for 4 people for 4 nights. Can anyone direct us to some place to rent a car/jeep? Thanks, Pat

Sioux Falls, South...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: PR car rental + vieques car rental?

Belated thanks for the replies here. In the end we did double up on car rentals, and it worked fine. The cost of a car rental on mainland Puerto Rico is so much cheaper than on Vieques that it made the days of it sitting un-used at the Fajardo Ferry parking lot seem somewhat irrelevant. Still, it would be nice if there were a better way.

We rented a Jeep Wrangler from Maritza's - they seem to be the best car rental company on Vieques, both according to many posts on TA and according to our B&B hosts. http://www.maritzascarrental.com/

At the time, it was $60 a day for a 2-door Wrangler (all we needed), $70-80 for larger jeeps; there's not much cheaper on the island. If you want to see many of the better beaches, a 4-wheel drive vehicle is the only option. The only problem with Maritza's is that their office is something like a mile or 2 away from either the ferry or the airport. They may be able to arrange pickup or a taxi etc. When you return your vehicle, they do include taking you to your departure point in a shuttle van.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: PR car rental + vieques car rental?

Fanliorel -Where did you park your PR rental car while in Vieques?

6. Re: PR car rental + vieques car rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2015, 06:19