We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ponce day trip??

McHenry, Illinois
Level Contributor
267 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Ponce day trip??

My friend and I are taking a girls trip to PR in October for a week. We would like to go to Ponce to see the sights, etc...is renting a car and heading down from OSJ an ok idea? Or should we go with some sort of tour? Is Ponce safe for two gals in their 30's to be for the day? Any tips on what to do? My friend does speak spanish (her mom is puerto rican), so I'm not worried about the actual drive and getting around if we need to ask for directions. Thanks for any help and suggestions!!

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,765 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ponce day trip??

Sure it is a fine idea. I would recommend you decide what you want to see in Ponce, so you can work out times. Some of the tours have certain times. The Serralles castle, or Hacienda Buena Vista are only open certain days/times they are open. Tibes is close there also and is interesting. There is a Trolley Tour is a nice quick tour that gives an overview of the central area.

I don't think there is any issue with 2 women walking around for the day.

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
491 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ponce day trip??

We did it and I don't recommend it. The drive was pretty, but getting around Ponce was a NIGHTMARE! Nothing was labeled that we wanted to see... getting directions didn't work (we called placed)... none of the streets are labeled... and GPS didn't work there. It was really disappointing. And we are good at maps, directions, etc... but we got so lost there.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ponce day trip??

Ponce is not that bad to navigate. It's best to look at Google maps before arriving and after arriving. Once you are in the main square, attractions are either north, south, east or west of the main square where you want to start your visit.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
8,543 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ponce day trip??

I understand your frustration as nothing in PR is ever labeled. But if you plan ahead and take a map you should be fine. Getting lost is part of the adventure.

5. Re: Ponce day trip??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2014, 06:18