We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Days to Visit OSJ/El Yunque?

NewHampshire
Level Contributor
129 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best Days to Visit OSJ/El Yunque?

Hi,

Just wondering, based on people's experiences, which are the best days to visit Old San Juan and El Yunque.

We have 1 day to spend in each, and will be there from a Thursday through Tuesday.

Thanks for the input!

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Days to Visit OSJ/El Yunque?

Places will be closed on Monday, but not all.

For El Yunque it really does not matter what day.

I would go earlier in the day as its pretty hot and humid there.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,976 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Days to Visit OSJ/El Yunque?

I would go to El Yunque on a weekday, as local families go there over weekends. It will be easier to find parking and to enjoy the area. This the kind of place you want to have for yourself.

Go to OSJ on the weekend. The place will be more vibrant because there will be more families up and about. Not as fun when there's not that many people around.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Days to Visit OSJ/El Yunque?

I would go to OSJ when there are no visiting cruise ships disenbarking. In regard to El Yunque rainforest, get there early to get one of the limited parking spaces.

Edited: 12 April 2013, 14:53
East Bridgewater...
Level Contributor
193 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Days to Visit OSJ/El Yunque?

Is there a website, that allows you to view the days the cruise ships are coming in? I am trying to plan my vacation in June.

Thank you,

Guaynabo, Puerto...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,778 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Days to Visit OSJ/El Yunque?

Not sure how accurate these are but you could check out

cruisetimetables.com/cruises-from-san-juan-p… (I've seen this site list the same ship more than once for same date so keep that in mind)

…cruisett.com/schedule/…634-San_Juan

Edited: 17 April 2013, 17:46
Guaynabo, Puerto...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,778 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Days to Visit OSJ/El Yunque?

The above link for cruisetimetable site is for departures from San Juan

this link is for port of call visits to San Juan (so you need to check both)

cruisetimetables.com/cruises-to-san-juan-pue…

Missouri City, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Days to Visit OSJ/El Yunque?

Just want to be sure I understand this -- According to the charts, there are arrivals in San Juan on July 2 and 7, and departures July 6 and 7.

What would be the best day between July 2 and July 7 to visit OSJ? For example, would July 3 be good because no ships, or bad because a ship just arrived the day before?

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,976 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Days to Visit OSJ/El Yunque?

If a cruise "arrives" on a weekday it only stays for the afternoon. So there will be more tourists around, as they are only in OSJ for a few hours.

Arrivals and departures on sat and sunday are the cruises starting and ending in San Juan. On these days, people are coming in and out of the airport, so not much difference for OSJ.

I don't feel that the influx of visitors makes the area too crowded to walk around, but it is your personal choice whether or not you want to visit OSJ at these times

9. Re: Best Days to Visit OSJ/El Yunque?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2014, 07:16