We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overdue Trip Report

ny
Level Contributor
176 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Overdue Trip Report

We arrived without incident on Jet Blue from NY and retrieved our bags fairly quickly. We walked out to pick up the jitney to take us to Charlie's car rental. We did have to wait about 20 minutes for a jitney but when it came it was at most a 10 minute ride to the car rental. I met another woman who was using Charlie's because it had been recommended on Trip Advisor which is why I was too. We picked up a mini van no problem, the gentleman behind the desk was very helpful and within 20 minutes we were on our way. We arrived at the hotel, booked on points, easily and without incident. We stayed at the Sheraton (Convention Center), we could not get into the one in old San Juan with our points for a one night stay. We went immediately up to the pool for lunch which took some time and I learned that when a concierge offers a handicap accessible room next time I will take it as our room was small and the handicap room would have been larger. However it was only one night. We drove into old san juan, parked in the garage, and walked over to the fort. Our two 11 year old boys loved it. They had so much fun there and the area is obviously rich in history. We stayed for the afternoon and then walked around old san juan and had dinner. Dinner was ok, restaurant was across from garage and seemed to be fairly traditional native cuisine. We went back to hotel after dinner and next day got up had breakfast, left our bags with the hotel staff in the locked bag room, and again went to old san juan to see the second fort (El Morrow). The kids again enjoyed this, and we walked around for a few more hours. We loved old San Juan as it really has a european city feel to it with narrow cobblestone streets, and old buildings. We left San Juan about 2:00 so that we could make it to Rio Grande, check into our hotel, and get to Bio bay by 6:00 that evening.

We made it to Rio Grande without incident, the roads were fine and well marked. We had a little trouble finding the hotel once we got off the highway but there is not really a sign indicating that the St. Regis is there until you are at the gate. Fortunately, one of the valets from the Sheraton had told us that you drive through town and then onto a street which has a canopy of tree branches covering the road and it is at the end of the road. We did find it and all was great at check-in. Room was ready and resort looked great. We had to leave relatively quickly to make our bio bay electric boat tour. It was Saturday evening and the one thing that no one told us was that the traffic on route 3 might be heavy and then the traffic once we turned off route 3 would be bad. We were getting very close to the bio bay dock but the traffic was really slow and parking was problematic as the park where the dock was was mobbed. There were people all over. It was really neat but made us worry about missing our boat. My cell phone rings and it is the owner of the bio bay boat asking where we are and we told him where we were and he directed us in and told us we had time and not to worry. He was extremely available and helpful. We did find parking and made it to the boat in time. If you are going on a Sat. early evening leave extra time because the park is crowded with cars, and people. The bio bay boat ride was great. The gentleman who owned the boat and his son took us out. This young man, his son, was great. He is a high school senior and he is very knowledgeable about the science of the bio bay and many other things. A very smart young man. He was very good with my kids too. One thing I did notice is that the oars in the water did not create so much blue, this young guide reset the couple's nikon camera so that the picture he took showed the water as blue but in real time it did not look so blue. It was all very interesting and fun.

We made it back to our hotel and had dinner that night on the terrace with room service. What a great day. Next day we relaxed at the hotel which I reviewed separately. We ate in all restaurants in the hotel which I also reviewed separately. We spent the next six days at the hotel. We kayaked, biked, walked, exercised, played tennis, and hung out at the pool. We went to the rain forest and did the hike to the waterfall on a Tuesday. It was crowded and the path was slippery, still we enjoyed the walk and the waterfall. After we left the rainforest we stopped for lunch at one of the Kiosks on Route 3 and we had very good food. I encourage people to try the kiosks rather than all the fast food which is available on Route 3. Could be Route 1 in the states, I was surprised by all the fast food in PR. We ate dinner one night at number 2 and the food there was quite good and not as expensive as the hotel food. We also went into Luquillo one night and had dinner at Sandy's which I reviewed elsewhere. I encourage all to get out of the hotels and eat in the local restaurants. When it came time to leave we drove back to Charlie's dropped the car and made our 10:30 flight with plenty of time to spare. All and all we had great weather and a very relaxing time in Puerto Rico.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overdue Trip Report

Interesting review, thank you. I also feel people need to get out the hotels not only checking out the restaurants, but explore the island in general. Since you have children could stay in El Con, very friendly for children, but off course it's good to redeem those points in your program. How was the weather?

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overdue Trip Report

Thanks for posting your trip report- I love reading them. Sounds like you enjoyed your vacation!

3. Re: Overdue Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2014, 06:17