We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please Critique Our Itinerary

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
762 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Please Critique Our Itinerary

Feedback from all of you on this board has been EXTREMELY helpful with planning our PR trip. I finally have a detailed (REALLY detailed) itinerary. I realize that things will not play out exactly as I have this laid out, but this gives us targets of what we would like to do. Please critique and let me know where I’m totally off base. We will be traveling with only carry-on baggage and are used to using public transportation (along with walking) to get to and from our lodging.

Day 1 – Arrive SJU & taxi to Isla Verde for lunch @ Panaderia Espana Reposteria; taxi to SIG for flight to Culebra; lodging @ Casa Ensenada; stroll around town & dinner at Susie’s

Day 2 – P/U breakfast @ Pan Deli & taxi to Bahia Marina; day trip to Culebrita on Pez Vela including lunch; dinner delivered by Homeless Dog Café

Day 3 – Kayak to Dinghy Dock for breakfast; Flamenco Beach with lunch @ kiosks; Hike to Carlos Rosariso/Tamarindo; Dinner @ Heather’s or Barbara Rosa

Day 4 – Breakfast @ El Eden; walk to Melones for short visit; lunch @ Zacos Tacos; mid-afternoon flight to Ceiba; rent car from Avis; stop @ Luquillo beaches and check out kiosks; check-in @ Coqui’s Hideaway; hike to waterfall on property; dinner @ Pasta & Pueblo or kiosks

Day 5 – Early morning Mass @ St. Joseph Church (check out carvings); breakfast @ Boardrider’s; El Yunque for the day (Visitor Center; possible ranger guided tour; Yokahu Observation Tower; El Yunque Trail to peak; Bano de Oro Trail; lechon for lunch; dinner @ Ernestina’s or Luquillo kiosks

Day 6 – Quick breakfast in rental; Check out & head to Humacao for private trip to Monkey Island w/ Barefoot Travelers; grab fast food lunch on way to Ceiba airport; turn in car & catch flight to Vieques; rent car from Maritza’s; check out Isabel II (maybe visit Punta Mulas Lighthouse); check-in @ Hector’s by the Sea; check out Malecon & possibly walk along Sun Beach; dinner @ Next Course

Day 7 – Head to Isabel II for breakfast @ Café Mamasonga; check out El Fortin Conde de Misasol & PM lighthouse if missed on Day 6; stop @ old Ceiba tree en route to Green Beach; also visit Punta Arenas; late lunch @ Tin Box; hike to Play Negrita & snorkel @ Sun Bay if time allows; Bio Bay tour w/ Island Adventures; late dinner @ Conuco or Lazy Jack’s (depends on timing)

Day 8 – Breakfast @ La Dulce; head to Navio/Secret/Sun beaches; lunch @ Lazy Jack’s or Duffy’s; Red Beach; dinner @ Belly Buttons for Waldo’s paella

Day 9 – Breakfast in room; last minute tourist stuff (souvenirs, last beach visits, etc); turn in car & have lunch @ Isla Nena Café; mid-afternoon flight to SIG; taxi to OSJ for check-in @ Hotel El Convento; visit SJ Cathedral; manager’s reception; El Picoteo for dinner (tapas in Hotel)

Day 10 – Walk to breakfast @ Cafeteria Mallorca; walking tours of city including both forts; lunch @ St. Germain Bistro; shopping on Calle del Cristo; anniversary dinner @ Trois Cent Onze

Day 11 – Breakfast @ Patio del Nispero in hotel; check-out (possibly store luggage); walk around OSJ or taxi (with luggage) to Condado or Isla Verde to look around; lunch @ Metropol; taxi to SJU for flight home

Bespoke Lifestyle Management
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Boat Tours, Day Trips
Sunset Tours
Taxis & Shuttles
El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,837 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please Critique Our Itinerary

Other than being very busy with little down time, it looks good. On day 5, by the time you finish Church (7:30-8:30) and breakfast (8:30-9:30) and hike, it is 2-3pm - I know you want Lechon at Barbakoa on 191...but after that, you probably won't be hungry for dinner.

Maine
Level Contributor
434 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please Critique Our Itinerary

I'm not familiar with the other places, but We were just there and I don't think day 5 works with church, meals and actually having time hiking. Something will have to give I believe.

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
762 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please Critique Our Itinerary

Thanks for the day 5 feedback...I was pretty sure I'd have to make changes there. I think we'll skip breakfast at Boardrider's. Maybe do the vigil mass on Saturday since we'll already be in the area.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,083 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please Critique Our Itinerary

Hi

im not being sarcastic when I ask this, but what is the purpose of your vacation? it definitely is NOT relaxation. You seem to want to do as much as possible without enjoying any of what you are doing. for example, day 8. you want to go to three different beaches after breakfast and before lunch. so say, from 9am to 1pm you want to go to three beaches. that will require at least 60 minutes total driving time(driving to sunbay then navio and back then to camp garcia and secret and back). thats one hour on the beach not including the time it takes to take your stuff out and repack the vehicle. you wont have enough time at each place to think let alone enjoy and relax.

I think you need to really think about what you want and maybe focus on one beach per morning and one per afternoon. if you want to get more time in, eliminate a day on the mainland. but i think you should not try to do so much unless that is what you would enjoy.

good luck

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Please Critique Our Itinerary

I just got back from PR (4/14-4/20)....read our trip report. I had a very ambitious itinerary as well, but it just didn't go the way I expected. That's not to say that we were disappointed, we definitely were not, it just means we'll have to plan a return trip to PR! The pace is a bit slower than we're used to, and the heat also slows you down. And you'll need to expect the unexpected, like a downpour for a whole day! Relax and enjoy!

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
492 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please Critique Our Itinerary

Don't miss Pasta y Pueblo in Luquillo. Sometimes it has weird hours and is closed so depending on what day, you might not get lucky.. It's TINY and easy to miss.

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
762 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please Critique Our Itinerary

Thanks all for the feedback...I knew I'd get the 'If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium' comments! Of course I realize we won't fit all this in, and some days might totally go off plan. However, I'd rather have some idea of what we want to do so we don't sit around trying to decide. My husband and I are both quite fair, so we can't spend long hours in the sun and we both have trouble spending hours just sitting at the beach. I hope to do a good bit of snorkeling, but hubby doesn't have a lot of experience and he might sit out for some of it.

frankipoo...you are certainly not totally off base. We tend to do a lot of sightseeing when we travel; more than some might like. The three beaches mentioned for the morning of Day 8 will obviously not be possible, but having very little idea of transportation times, I listed things in the same general vicinity...at least from what I can tell. Some of the meals might end up being food we pick up and take to the beach, but I'm not sure about coolers at the various lodging stops.

Please keep the comments coming and point out any glaring issues! TIA

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,083 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please Critique Our Itinerary

Ok. Well that's good to know. In Vieques, most things are close to each other and Isabel II and Esperanza are only a few minutes drive from one another. I would say 80% of what you want is less than 15 minutes apart. That's not counting to drive to the beaches from the general entrance to the beach areas.

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
762 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please Critique Our Itinerary

So frankipoo...unfortunately we'll be in Vieques during the week so Chiva and La Plata will be closed. What do you mean by this...'That's not counting to drive to the beaches from the general entrance to the beach areas.' Are the roads so bad that it will take much longer than it appears on a map to go from one to another?

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
492 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please Critique Our Itinerary

All the beaches in the preserve on Vieques are "off road" type experiences... once you enter the preserve it's not paved. So it can take awhile going slow.