We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
404 posts
Save Topic
Renting a car?

Hi everyone!

Hubby and I are considering a trip to PR for a week in early October. We're interested in staying down in Cabo Rojo. I am trying to get a feel for how car rental works in PR.

--Is it relatively straightforward or is it kind of shady (like in Mexico)?

--Typical cost for a small vehicle for a week?

I will continue sifting around the forums but any information is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Guaynabo, Puerto...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car?

Same as USA

We have the major car rental chains here and some locally based ones

Personally only had experience with Enterprise here in PR but had good service and prices were good - even gave me an upgrade to a Jeep Wrangler when original Intermediate car was not ready :o)

You will find plenty of posts on car rentals

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,167 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car?

PR is far from Mexico. It is part of the US and your personal car insurance may cover you. Mine does. Use whatever discounts you have available to rent a car. The only issue is that most of the rental car companies are locally owned franchises. So each is different. Look at the reviews. At the moment Thirfty is getting a lot of negative press.

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a car?

There have been many, many complaints about rental agencies in this forum. Many agencies try to force you to buy their CDW insurance unless you show a copy of your car insurance, not just a card, but the declaration pages. This can cost as much as the "bargain" rate advertised per day.

Avis and Charlies ( a local agency) are the only ones with consistently good reviews. Enterprise has few complaints. Many of the others service levels are rated between terrible and atrocious. Check the reviews of any agency you consider by searching in this forum before committing. Avoid Thrifty, Allied, Sixt, and

Otherwise, rentals work just as in the States. Renting a car is a necessity if you are going to Cabo Rojo. Rental costs are roughly the same as in the States.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
404 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a car?

Very cool. I didn't realize that a US citizen could use his/her own auto insurance in PR.

I did a quick quote on the Enterprise website and it said $155 for the entire week...does that seem right to you guys?!

Seems quite low to me so of course I'm wondering what the catch is...

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,167 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a car?

It's off season, so the rates are good. Oh and Puerto Ricans are US Citizens also. You are not leaving the country. US banking system so your credit cards and ATM cards work just fine. EPA and USDA inspections, so the food and water are good. Water is actually better than we have here in Cleveland. I have Aetna Heath insurance and the Rio Padres Medical center is in network. They even have direct dial phones with their own US area code. Believe it or not, they even have post offices. That's right US Postal service. Sorry, Just trying to get my point across. It is a commonwealth of the US. Some interesting things. Although they are US Citizens, they cannot vote in federal elections. But if someone that was born in PR goes up to the mainland, they can vote. No federal income tax on income made in PR. Etc...

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
404 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a car?

I just can't believe it's only $155.

I have never rented a car before so this is all new to me.

Thanks for the info.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
515 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a car?

Not all insurance companies cover while you are in PR, we have State Farm and they do not. Always a wise idea to call before hand and find out.

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
491 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting a car?

We rented for a week from Enterprise and it was about that. No catch. Except for that Enterprise is not as good in PR as it is in the US... customer service at Enterprise in the US is always top notch in every city. In PR we waited forever for our car (we unknowingly rented from what was basically a kiosk in a hotel) and it was frustrating, though the car etc was fine and price was cheaper than the airport.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Renting a car?

one thing to be aware of is that Charlies does not have the Express Easy Pass stickers and it can get VERY expensive in fines if you inadvertanly go thru a toll gate with out it. you can not just pay the toll, they do not do that here any more . it is not a user friendly system for travelers. just make sure whatever company you rent from has sticker and does not charge you for the priviledge. ( that is often the hidden charge)

We use Avis in PR and there is no additional charge other than the actual tolls themselves. We get llittle charges on our credit card for a dollor or two.You will need to use the toll highways to get to Cabo Rojo.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,810 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Renting a car?

We found a similar system in Florida, except we had no choice at the car rental companies- everyone had to pay for the toll tag and there was no cash lane- you have to have the tag to use the highways. Modernization and more rapid transportation! If only PR would get rid of that dumb MovilCard. I suggest all tourists that will be driving around just rent the AutoExpreso tag and just enjoy without worrying about the tolls and which roads they can/can't use, fines etc.

But I think everyone needs to talk with the companies and make sure what is available and the charges.

As per their webpages:

Charlie's has the Auto Expreso tags for their cars and you have to accept or deny that you want it. If you want it, they charge $10 fee, plus tolls. But if you deny wanting it and then use it, they will charge you a $25 fine. It is not hidden.

Avis advertises they have the Auto Expreso tag, but it is $2.95 per day (up to $14.75) plus tolls.