We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas holiday in PR?

Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas holiday in PR?

Hey everyone, me and my boyfriend, 28 & 31 year olds are thinking about a Christmas vacation for two weeks to run away from New York's cold . Seems like there are so many wonderful areas in Puerto Rico I don't know where to begin. Hotel vs. condo,locations, activities etc. we are both adventurous and we'd like to do sports, surfing, site-seeing, driving in the city, hiking as well as laying on the beach.

We're both students and looking to save as much money as possible, basically in accommodations so we would prefer to live in condo or something like that and bbq and buy food. We would like your suggestions where to sleep, and in which cities? We are there for two weeks so maybe we can move around different cities to be able to see more of PR?

Should we rent a car? Is it possible to rent a motorcycle?

Any help and suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Rincon Paddle Boards
Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Equipment Hire, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Surfing Puerto Rico
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Water Sports, Eco Tours, Equipment Hire, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Rincon Surf School
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Puerto Rico Paddle Board Tours
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10,060 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas holiday in PR?

A lot of people travel to PR during the holidays. Condos will be rented at a premium. Start looking now for both airfare and accomodations.

Look into the Paradores. These are smaller hotels through the island, usually offering good rates and at rural locations. Once you see their offerings, you can plan a route, but suggestions would be to stay around RioGrande/Luquillo/Fajardo in the east, Cabo Rojo/Isabela in the southwest, Rincon/Aguadilla/Quebradillas in the northwest.

I'm sure you might find motorcycle rentals but I would not recommend it. We don't have long deserted highways. There is always traffic, even in narrow rural roads. Other drivers might not be as aware of a motorcycle passing by. Just rent a car it is probably a cheaper rental anyway. Oh, and you do have to rent a car, as there is no reliable public transportation outside ofSJ.

Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas holiday in PR?

Christmas is a very busy time in PR as Puerto Ricans and vacationers converge onto the island at that time. The Christmas season in PR is much longer period than in the U.S. mainland and covers the entire month of December and past the first week of January. Expect hotel rooms and car rentals to book up fast, so it's best to book everything well in advance. With such high demand, prices go, up so the Christmas season is not a cheap time to visit.

In regard to a motorcycle rental, such agencies are rare if they exist on the island at all, and it is not practical, as almost everyone drives everywhere and car rentals are affordable. Besides, PR's are notoriously terrible drivers and I would not take a chance riding around in a motorcycle. There is a high per capita car ownership rate on the island and heavy traffic density.

Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas holiday in PR?

Thank you very much for the reply. I already started lookg for condos, and i'll soon book the flight as well.

Where do you reccomend staying for two weeks? Should we stay in one place and move by car in a day trips or look for different accomodations in few places and stay few nights in each?

I've red in the forum that some reccomend going to Vieques or Culebra. What is best? Or should we see them both? I also found dome condos there. Should we stay the night?

What would you do if you had 12 days? :)

Level Contributor
442 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas holiday in PR?

You should definately rent a car.

Vieques is definately worth an overnight or two. We went to PR with no agenda and took a day trip to Vieques but ended up spending 2 nights. We would have stayed longer but only had 5 days in PR. Vieques also has one of the best bioluminescent bays to do at night. There are others but maybe not as good.

We actually left the car in a parking lot in Fajardo near the ferry terminal. Not sure if it was wise or legal, but like I said we were just planning to go for a day trip. The car was fine when we got back.

The area around CaboRojo was another favorite of ours with the lighthouse overlooking huge cliffs. Amazing and beautiful. We also spent a night on a horse farm somewhere in the middle of the island which was also beautiful. We enjoyed driving through the central mountainous areas and walking through the towns.

El Yunque is worth at least a full day, two is better. Lots of hiking.

We never made it to the northwest part of the island but I hear that's beautiful too.

And make sure to try the lechon asado.

Edited: 02 July 2013, 01:37
Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas holiday in PR?

With two weeks you should be fine to cover a lot. Xmas is a busy season, and family oriented so here are a few tips:

- 24 dec stores & restaurants close early. If you are not in the San Juan area you may be dinning at your rental

-25,dec, everything is closed, and again a few on the tourist side will be open

-31/12 & 01/01/14 same applies as above. In hotels there are good New Years party, but they fill up fast so make reservations. They are expensive $100 or more pp. unless you are in a parador, where New Years party are less expensive.

Now my slight suggestion on how to split you days:

Vieques 2-3 days

Isabela or Rincon 3 days

Cabo Rojo 3 days (if you don't mind driving choose Cabo Rojo for 5 days and do one day trips to Ponce and Rincon )

Stay in San Juan the rest of your stay and do a day trip to El Yunque

We celebrate three kings day January 6, so the 5 th is equal to dec 24 and the 6 th similar to dec 25

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas holiday in PR?

Two weeks is a good length of stay for a PR trip. I recommend for the most part staying in one place. You can do easy trips to most of the other places you might be interested in if you rent a car. Puerto Rico is a large very diverse island. Where you base depends on the style of vacation you prefer.

In general, most visitors to the island gravitate to one of several areas:

(1) San Juan (Condado / Isle Verde) which have Miami like urban beach front resorts. Lots of night life, restaurants, activity.

(2) Old San Juan - great historic district, best restaurants, museums, shops - no beach

(3) El Yunque Rain Forest region - Island atmosphere, several major beach resorts, island type activities - remote beaches, bio bay, rain forest, horseback, zip lines etc.

(4) Rincon on the West Coast - Surfer world, laid back, chill.

(5) Vieques and Culebra: Beautiful and isolated tropical islands for those who want to avoid civilization, bit of a hassle to get to.

Rincon and the islands are not easy day trips, but all other locations are relatively close to each other. An over night to Vieques or Culebra is doable.

7. Re: Christmas holiday in PR?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2014, 06:18