We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bungalow/Cottage type suggestions

NOVA
2 posts
Save Topic
Bungalow/Cottage type suggestions

Hi, my GF and I decided we need a break from the DC area and booked flights to San Juan for a three night trip. This is our first time to Puerto Rico but we've visited the VI's a few times and ideally we could find a hotel with rooms on the water and away from the city.

If you're familiar with St. Thomas something like the Bolongo Bay Beach Resort is perfect.

Given the short stay would it be worth it to go to Culebra or Rincon?

Away from the city

on the beach

cottage type

snorkeling

$225/night or less (cheaper the better)

Suggestions?

I dont know anything about PR and if someone could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

NOVA
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bungalow/Cottage type suggestions

Read and thought about our situation more and given we are only in town for three nights i narrowed the search to :

a hotel on an awesome beach, where i can drink, snorkle, and walk back to the room in a minute or two, without tons of people or high rises.

Thanks

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bungalow/Cottage type suggestions

If you want to come to PR, you are going to have to compromise as most hotels on the island are high rise. The Metro San Juan area is definitely out since there are well over 2 million people living there and it is a congested area with traffic jams and big city problems, and yes high rise buildings.

Rincon on the west coast is a low key quiet area and so is Isabela on the northwest coast. Aside from that there are the off-shore islands of Vieques and Culebra, but given the fact that you will be visiting for 3 days, none of these seem practical as it takes considerable time to get there.

Edited: 02 July 2013, 12:29
Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,026 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bungalow/Cottage type suggestions

As stated in the post above, for what you want you will need to go to the northwest area. Check out these hotels:

Isabela/ Aguadilla (the hotel is on the border line of both towns so address could vary): Villa Montana; restaurants, beachfront, two great restaurants, relax ambiance, great for snorkeling.

Rincon- Horned Dorset Primavera, Rincon by the seas, Villa Cofresi; there are more small inns in Rincon but not all have beachfront. These hotels are listed from highest cost to lowest, so their amenities differ and so do the quality of their accomodations. Best average is Rincon by the Seas.

Since you already book flights to San Juan, driving time to Rincon is about 2.5 hours, but since I do not know arrival and departure time the time frame may be doable or not. Many of us drive that distance also to go to the airport, and is mainly by highway so you are used to that in DC.

So if your departure times allows it, drive to Isabela or Rincon. If not, then change hotels on your last night and visit the Old San Juan area, which is also very relaxing and you will feel that you are in a different country.

4. Re: Bungalow/Cottage type suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2014, 07:18