We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our Trip Report 7/6-7/11

Level Contributor
26 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Our Trip Report 7/6-7/11

My husband, teenage son, and I visited Puerto Rico and had a wonderful visit so we wanted to share our experience.

Day 1: Arrived in Puerto Rico around 2:00 and took a taxi to the Embassy Suites where we stayed for our trip. The hotel is very close to the airport, it took less than 5 minutes to get there. Since our room was not ready, the hotel put our luggage in storage and we walked down to the beach. It was a Saturday so the beach was super crowded, we walked for awhile then headed back to the hotel. We ate at Mi Casta that evening, it was one of the best meals we had while in Puerto Rico.

Day 2: We woke up bright and early, as we had an excursion planned for the day and had to be at our meeting sight at 5:45 a.m. We went on a caving/rapelling/zip lining adventure with "Adventuras". It was very challenging, but definitely the best thing we did while on our trip. We arrived back at our hotel around 5:00 totally exhausted. For dinner that night we went to Platos, it was pretty good. I think we may have been to tired to really enjoy it.

Day 3: We caught a bus a block from our hotel ( and .75 a piece) to OSJ. The bus ride was about 45 minutes down and 30 minutes back. While in OSJ we visited both El Morro and San Cristobel forts, Pigeon Park, San Juan Gate, and San Juan Cemetery. Amazing views, beautiful architecture,and great picture opportunities everywhere you turn.We also did some shopping and had lunch at Lupi,s. Our service was really good, but didn't care to much for what we ordered. We ate at Metropol this evening at it was fantastic. Loved it!

Day 4: We had a snorkeling/sailing excursion planned for the day but do to tropical storm Chantal's potential it was canceled. So we made the best of it and tried to find something to do, as it was a BEAUTIFUL day out. We went to the Pinones, rented bikes and rode up and down the boardwalk. Nothing much was opened, it may have been again due to the storm. We did find one place that was open and had some great chicken kabobs. We then headed back to the hotel and went down to the beach. It was not crowded at all this time, the water was beautiful, and we had a nice time. Later that evening we ate at My Brother Jimmy's. We loved the open air concept of this restaurant being on the top of a hotel. We had terrible service, our Medalla beers were $6.70 a piece and the food was not that good in our opinion.

Day 5: We rented a car from Charlie's on our last day and intended to go to El Yunque rainforest for the day. Unfortunately, it was closed again do to the potential rain from Chantal. We drove down to the Arecibo Observatory, which was a nice drive and interesting to see. We were somewhat disappointed in the last two days, but you can't help the weather and we tried to make the most of it. We had dinner at J.H Yee's, and the food and service were very good.

Some side notes: it rained twice very little while we were there. The people in Puerto Rico are very friendly and helpful. We always felt safe where ever we were, even when we were lost we felt comfortable getting directions, etc. We had a great vacation and experience in Puerto Rico!

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our Trip Report 7/6-7/11

Thanks so much for sharing your vacation experience.

Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our Trip Report 7/6-7/11

I'm glad your family had a great time. Thanks for the details of your trip

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our Trip Report 7/6-7/11

Welp, I had some days like that, but you must do what it takes to have fun even during rainy days. Hope you return because there is more to explore.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our Trip Report 7/6-7/11

Great TR! Thanks for posting. I am glad you had fun even though Mother Nature wasn't cooperating!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our Trip Report 7/6-7/11

Thanks for posting, it is very helpful as we will be visiting in two weeks.

Florida
Level Contributor
53 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our Trip Report 7/6-7/11

It sounds like Chantal definitely affected your overall experience, but it seems like you did your best to work around it. I'm going to try to remember Metropol for my next trip.

7. Re: Our Trip Report 7/6-7/11

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2014, 07:18