We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Rico Honeymoon - Advice Please!!

Leesburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Puerto Rico Honeymoon - Advice Please!!

Hi there! My fiancée and I are currently researching honeymoon destinations for around June 24,2014. Here is a little background - we are 27, interested in both beach and water activities along with other adventures and want an all inclusive resort. A nice beach with is important to me as well. We go to Greece every summer to visit family, and wanted to try a Caribbean or Mexican destination as neither of us have ever been before.

Areas we are seriously considering are:

1) Turks and Caicos

2) Puerto Rico

3) Riviera Maya

4) Grand Cayman Island

5) Costa Rica

Any comparisons of these locations and guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Rico Honeymoon - Advice Please!!

There are no all inclusive resorts in PR for a number of reasons. The wealth of attractions in PR that are off resort and the lack of significant safety concerns in going to them, relative to other AI locations, have made All Inclusive Resorts not suited for PR. Old San Juan and El Morro, the El Yunque Rain Forrest, the night live of Isle Verde and Condado in downtown San Juan, the second longest zip line in the world at Toto Verde are some of those attractions. Sure there are great beaches, but Puerto Rico is the destination.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Rico Honeymoon - Advice Please!!

Can't compare Puerto Rico with others as mentioned above, no AI.

Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Rico Honeymoon - Advice Please!!

Your comparison is not apples to apples, but I will give it a shot.

Safety: meaning you can walk relax at night and go out to a restaurant of pub of choice- Puerto Rico is the only one that can offer this. In the other 4, you just can't do that. Oh, btw you can rent a car here and drive like a local, plus English is well spoken here.

Currency: Puerto Rico is US territory so our monetary system is US dollars, plus no visas or passports needed (altough I gather yours are up to date).

Things to do: options #1 & 4 are just beaches, opt #3 & 5 do have other activitites, but if you are located near the beach these activities are 2 hr drives and through tours not on your own. I have been there so that is why I can compare. Opt#2 (Puerto Rico) has many attractions like the ones mentioned by WTPArmok, and they can be done on your own with a rental car or by tour (a bit more expensive).

Food: Did I mentioned our water is safe to drink and you can dine out freely at our many options. Not like in an All Inc. that today's menu is the same as yesterday's, tomorrow's, and next day, And you have to make reservations at the specialty restaurants about two days ahead.

Leesburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Rico Honeymoon - Advice Please!!

Thank you all for your information! I did not realize Puerto Rico didn't have AI's. Our reasons for wanting to try an AI are because we've never done one before, and we are also saving to purchase our first home shortly after the wedding so we are trying to stay within a budget.

This is a tough choice as it does seem that Puerto Rico offers a lot of variety - adventures, beach, and good food.

Does anyone have recommendations of hotels near the beach that would be reasonably priced?

Thanks!

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,068 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerto Rico Honeymoon - Advice Please!!

What is "reasonably priced" to you? For some, it can be $100 a night, for others, it can be $200. Everyone has a different budget. What's yours?

Leesburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Puerto Rico Honeymoon - Advice Please!!

Sure, that makes sense. We are hoping to spend no more than $4000-5000 for the whole honeymoon (plane tickets, hotel, food, etc).

Leesburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Puerto Rico Honeymoon - Advice Please!!

For the hotel cost, if it doesn't include anything, I would say between $150 and 250 a night? That is just a guesstimate for now.

Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Puerto Rico Honeymoon - Advice Please!!

Check out the Intercontinental hotel, the last time I stayed there they had a $180 per night including taxes. But all fares can vary. mention that you are on your honeymoon and ask if they can drop in champagne and chocolate covered strawberries (they did for me at no additional cost).

For your budget there are good options. I recommend a hotel in Isla Verde, since the beach is much nicer than the one in El Condado area.

Ann Arbor, Mich.
Level Contributor
433 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Puerto Rico Honeymoon - Advice Please!!

You can pretty easily stay just about anywhere in PR for a week on that budget; we've done it for far less. I suggest some more reading here and on other sites to get a flavor of the different parts of the island. You have San Juan and Old San Juan, Condado, Isla Verde, Fajardo, Rincon, and many, many other options. One piece of advice for first-timers: It's easy and often a fun change of pace to break up your stay. Maybe you spend the first few days in or around San Juan, and then head for the east or west coast.

We have been to Riviera Maya and Dominican Republic once each but have returned to Puerto Rico four times now and are planning trip #5. That should tell you something. But to each his own; they are all beautiful places. We like the ease of travel, being able to "get up and go" on our own each day, and the wide variety of things to do, all within reasonable and safe distances. Plus, the food at All-Inclusive resorts often is not much to write home about, even the "specialty" places.

Maine
Level Contributor
404 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Puerto Rico Honeymoon - Advice Please!!

As others said there are no AI places in PR. There are also no AI places in Grand Cayman. Still beautiful places though.