We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting with 1yr old first timer

Chicago, Illinois
4 posts
Save Topic
Visiting with 1yr old first timer

Visiting PR in late Nov for the first time with 11 months baby. Please suggest what to do and suitable itinerary for 5 nights in PR. Also suggest hotels / resorts to stay, can consider two places to stay. Thanks.

Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting with 1yr old first timer

Hello. I would suggest staying at hotel with nice pools and nice beaches. Isla verde is nice. Some of the other beaches like Condado

You might witness some inappropriate behavior. I would also taking your baby don to the old san juan, you can get some incredible pics in the grassy area and background seen of the fort a majestic ocean...also you can take her on a free trolley ride..by that time she hound be exhausted..lol lol... She will have a greatbtime at the beaches are great...

Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,901 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting with 1yr old first timer

In Old San Juan there is the "Museo del niño", it is a child's museum. It has a separate area for toddlers and infants so your little one can do some play time . It is right across the hotel El Convento.

Bring a stroller that reclines, for nap time on the go.

In El Condado area there is a small open area called "La Ventana al mar", there is a really nice water play area, for free, whith water streams spitting up from the ground at time intervals. Kids have tons of fun here.

I would stay in the Condado area because of the many nearby attractions for a 1yr old, and restaurants. There is a small beach area by the Conrad hotel that has a nice man made wave breaker.

1 day old San Juan

1 day Rio Camuy caves and Arecibo observatory

1 day strolling El Condado (rest time for baby) go to El Morro or OSJ again, maybe some beach/pool time

One day beach or pool time,, try a different restaurant at El Condado, visit La Ventana al mar for kids play time

One day to go to El Yunque. This can be done with your kid, and great picture too

Chicago, Illinois
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting with 1yr old first timer

Thanks everyone for your reply. Beach_Orquid, your comments are very helpful.

I have few more questions that would help me to plan:

1. Should I stay all 5 nights in Isla Verde / Condado, can I cover everything by traveling to places and coming back or should I split. As I am thinking of renting a car for the whole trip, I can go to other places leaving San Juan and stay if its worth. (FYI, I am getting a good deal by booking one single hotel in San Juan).

2. Do you suggest any hotel or good resorts where I can stay (in San Juan and other areas), may be with free parking, wifi, breakfast etc.

Thanks everyone in advance for your help.

Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,901 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting with 1yr old first timer

The longest driving time will be with the Arecibo day trip, which is about 1 hour 20 min drive each way. If your baby can handle this, then the other trips should be easy to do. There are small local cafeterias along the road to the observatory where you can stop for a quick local lunch.

On your return you can stop at Salitre restaurant (in Arecibo en route to the Lighthouse park) which has great seafood. Or for easy drive back to San Juan, stop at the Barceloneta Premium Outlets (exit 55, highway 22), there is a Metropol restaurant for local Puertorrican-Cuban food.

I have a toddler, so I know that when traveling there is a lot of diapers, special medicines, toiletries, and snacks involved to be handled :). I would stay in one location and drive from there.

The Conrad in El Condado, is right beside a nice beach area protected by a man made wave breaker, and it also has a small waterpark for toddlers and kids.

I like the Intercontinental in Isla Verde, great pool and nice beach area.

If you would like to split your trip, El Conquistador Resort in Fajardo is a good option. They are a bit pricey, specially in November, but is worth to check them out. It is just about 25 min drive from El yunque, so you can visit when staying in Fajardo.

Their private island is good for smaller children, and their pools are also nice. Bring one of those floating devices where the kid "sits" in a mesh and floats. It is very good for both parent and child to enjoy water activities. But here is the warning sign: dinner can be expensive at hotel, so you need to go out. Lunch and breakfast are doable ($11 avg each, but dinner is expensive >$25 pp)

Chicago, Illinois
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting with 1yr old first timer

Thanks for the response.

Finally the day has come, I am traveling day after tomorrow. Decided on the places, 2 nights close to El Portal and 3 nights in a resort near to Fajardo. Also renting a car from Enterprise. Can anyone suggest a itinerary based on my plan details considering I am traveling with 11m baby.

Should I buy rental car insurance? one of my credit card company covers rental car insurance.

Anything else I should book before traveling? Looking forward to quick response. Appreciate it.

6. Re: Visiting with 1yr old first timer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2014, 05:17