We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portable Kayaks

Minneapolis...
9 posts
Save Topic
Portable Kayaks

I have portable kayaks and have never been to PR so am completely clueless if they would be fun and effective to bring. I've been scouring the board and have seen a lot of guided tours charging 30$ to get out onto the water. My kayaks are sturdy and the size of one med/lg suitcase. My travel partner is not interested in hauling them along, but I think it might be a fantastic idea!

Thank you for any opinions and advice on this!

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,901 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Portable Kayaks

Won't it cost you at least $30/kayak to bring them on the plane?

Minneapolis...
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Portable Kayaks

I have to check again, but I think I have enough miles for free luggage...but if not that's 120$ for two both ways. Nice point!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
757 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Portable Kayaks

If you fly SWA, you are allowed 2 large checked bags free PP and Jet Blue allows 1 free PP. Also you might be able to fit some of your regular baggage into no fee carryons or inside with your kayaks.

There are more reasons to bringing your own boats than just the cost. Arranging for pickup/return deadlines, poor condition of equipment, lack of availability in some locations or all rented out, portaging issues with non-portables, etc.

I often take 2 float fishing tubes in a carry on wherever I travel on vacation, and will do it next time I go to PR- going after Peacock bass. flyanglersonline.com/features/…

I've saved thousands compared to renting rafts/hiring guides, and also discovered new and inaccessible fresh waters over the years.

Hope this helps.

Out

Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Portable Kayaks

There is a great kayaking area in the city of Farado. The tour takes you through a lagoon..

There are enough kayaks and tours here. I wouldn't waist luggage room on a kayak..

Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portable Kayaks

There is also Kayak rentals on Laguna del Condado area. Unless you are travelling on high tourist season (summer) you should be able to find kayak availability.

So the main question is, Are you planning on spending more than one hour in a Kayak? If so, then maybe you can bring your kayaks. If not, then probably is not cost wise to bring them.

If you want the flexibility to Kayak on your own itenerary then it might be worth it to bring them. Rentals operate on certain hours that you have to stick to.

So here is the deal: If you are staying at Isla Verde or Condado, you can do Kayaking every morning as a nice excersice. If that is not your plan, then leave the kayaks at home and rent them in PR.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
757 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Portable Kayaks

Beach Orchid, that is a great answer!

Out

7. Re: Portable Kayaks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2014, 06:23