We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beach / water shoe

Green Bay, Wisconsin
2 posts
Save Topic
beach / water shoe

Heading to St Kitts, Puerto Rico, Tortola, Barbados, etc... looking for a good mens beach/water shoe. There are too many options Merrell, Keen, Columbia drain sock, Northface Hedgefrog etc... I don't have any idea which way to go. Opinions? Ideas?

p.s. do not suggest Wal-Mart

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
7,936 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beach / water shoe

Which brand do you prefer? What brand fits you better? Which one do you find most comfortable? No offense but this is like asking "how much much should I bring on my trip?". It's a very personal decision. I'm sorry, but we are here to offer travel advise. Not shopping advise.

Edited: 10 September 2013, 18:32
Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
7,912 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beach / water shoe

I've got waterproof sandels. Love them and they are multipurpose... amazon.com/Columbia-Mens-Techsun-Water-Shoe/…

Edited: 10 September 2013, 18:50
Green Bay, Wisconsin
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: beach / water shoe

then why did you reply? Read the millions of posts on this site - a lot of them are asking for advice on what to bring on a trip, what not to bring on a trip, which brands people prefer... I've never owned a pair of waterproof / beach shoe and I've been on one trip in my life. Sorry if I offended you

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
7,936 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beach / water shoe

I replied because that's what I'm here for. I wasn't trying offend you, and I'm certainly not offended. Brand names are a personal thing, that's a fact. I wasn't trying to hit any buttons there.

Perhaps I should've said this instead: water shoes aren't necessary in PR. Unless you're going to a rocky beach or perhaps the rainforest, you won't need water shoes in PR. When locals wear them, they'll most likely buy them at Walmart or Walgreens (brand names are expensive in PR). Personally, I wouldn't spend a good amount of money on Merrell's for a trip. But if you can and want to, please, by all means, go for it!

Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,901 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beach / water shoe

Beach shoes can be very uncomfortable if the fit is not right. Just imagine walking on sand with your shoe getting filled with more sand and trying to get your shoe out just when a small wave makes you loose balance and fall flat into the sand. Ok it happened to me.

My point, don't buy your first time shoes over the Internet. Go to a nearby Columbia or North Face store (my favorite) and try them out. Or check out one the larger sporting goods store to see what they have.

And Walmart does have a decent shoe options. Trust me, those sporting names are not that well known/used so not many people will be able to tell brand difference :)

In my case, after falling butt flat on the sand I have learned to enjoy the feeling of loose sand in my feet.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,760 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: beach / water shoe

We use a TEVA sports sandal for most water sports. They don't have to be that brand, there are a lot of companies that make that type of strap on sandal. They are also acceptable when trying to get La Mina waterfall or climbing over sharp limestone rocks. They are open toe, so we sometimes opt for a closed tor sandal.

boston
Level Contributor
511 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: beach / water shoe

It sounds like you are going on a cruise? For the islands you mentioned water shoes are absolutely unnecessary. You will find soft sandy beaches everywhere.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
742 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: beach / water shoe

Secure water sandals with good traction tread, that are comfortable enough to walk in all day would be ideal. You can use these for dry, wading, and boating, activities, or even during the very probable almost daily short rain showers, where regular shoes don't work as well.

Secure orthopedic river sandals with a toe strap work for me, as I do a lot of wading, wet traction activities. Your feet dry more quickly because air can get between most of your toes. I like the Chaco Z/2 types, but there are other brands with a similar design. www.trailspace.com/gear/chaco/z2-unaweep/

Outsidee

9. Re: beach / water shoe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2014, 06:18