We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far in advance do you book / make reservations?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
358 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
How far in advance do you book / make reservations?

Hello!

As you may now, I'm heading to PR in Feb next year & with your help have booked the majority of 'things'. What I have left revolves around the Culebra portion:

-Flight from SJU to Culebra

-Culebra Accom

-Flight from Culebra to Ceiba

-Fajardo based excursions (BioBay, Island Hop Excursion)

-One way car rental from Ceiba to SJU

-1 or 2 day car rental from/to SJU (after cruise)

When would you recommend booking the above? We are 4 months out - is it too early?

Also, if you have any recommendations (airline, culebra accom) please feel free to note it down!

Many thanks!

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,072 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far in advance do you book / make reservations?

Book as soon as possible, that't the best way to secure good prices and your choice of accomodations/schedule. I always book my trips 6 months ahead when possible.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
358 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How far in advance do you book / make reservations?

Sounds sensible - do you have any recommendations for Culebra accom? There is no place that stands out for me!

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,072 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How far in advance do you book / make reservations?

Sorry, I've only been to Culebra once, about 15 years ago ( i'm not a beach person). I stayed at a place in Flamenco beach that was really nice, with separate cabins w kitchens, but I don't remember the name. I'm sure someone will chime in soon w good advice.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
809 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How far in advance do you book / make reservations?

Culebra accomodations and especially Culebra transportation ASAP-read and post questions to Culebra forum. Latest for others about 2 weeks before. Check back a couple of days before on rental cars for lower prices. This site gives an overview tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g580453-Culebra_Puer… but there is a separate Culebra forum as well.

Out

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
358 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How far in advance do you book / make reservations?

Thanks - I find that the Culebra forum isn't as active as the PR one.

As my orignal post was fairly broad, that's where I placed it . If you have any recommendations with accom feel free to let me know!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
809 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How far in advance do you book / make reservations?

On accom I would go with TA ratings listed on the link I gave for the location you choose- take earplugs if you are light sleepers. I have not been there due to missing a flight. Too bad for us, because there was a lot of research that had gone into that trip. From reading the Culebra forum, transportation is a big consideration and may have a bearing on location. If you will be renting a Jeep, there are few places for fuel and the waiting line may be long. If you will be using cabs, there can be large demands and limited access from some areas/times during busy times of year. Just some cautions I recall from a few years ago, but most travelers seem to love Culebra.

Hope this helps. Hopefully an expert will post better info.

Out

cape cod ma
Level Contributor
367 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How far in advance do you book / make reservations?

In Fajardo: I just booked my excursion for the biobay in January, and it was already filling up. ( and I thought it was perhaps too early!) It is for the electric boat,through Bioisland which has less availabilty than the kayaks, but I would go ahead and book excursions now if you have specific dates in mind. Thanks, for the thread, I might have put it off a bit and missed my opportunity!

8. Re: How far in advance do you book / make reservations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2014, 05:17