We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Speeding ticket in Puerto Rico

Morgantown, West...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Speeding ticket in Puerto Rico

Hello,

I have been enjoying my first trip to Puerto Rico for my honeymoon. This forum was very helpful in planning and I can't wait to get home and post some reviews. I have had one small hiccup in the trip. I received a speeding ticket on my way to visit El Yunque. I have all intentions of paying the fine as I was indeed guilty. My question is, does anyone know if Puerto Rico will report this violation to my home states DMV? Thank you in advance for any help.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,437 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Speeding ticket in Puerto Rico

No, it will not be reported.

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Speeding ticket in Puerto Rico

Puerto Rico is not a member of the 45 State Interstate Driver's License Compact so it does not report violations to your home state. However, as part of the effort to gain statehood, there were discussions to join the Compact and some movement in that direction, so I would not count on that being true in the long term.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
3,009 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Speeding ticket in Puerto Rico

If you don't pay it, no they will not hunt you down.

But don't get another one on a return trip.

I remember when they took your license when you got a ticket.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Speeding ticket in Puerto Rico

I am assuming you had a rented Car. Once the Rental Agency receives the ticket they will charge it to your credit card..

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,437 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Speeding ticket in Puerto Rico

If it was for a moving violation it goes to the driver. If it is for parking or anything car related then it goes to the car, for which he would be billed separately. But the ticket was for speeding, so it will not be reported.

Morgantown, West...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Speeding ticket in Puerto Rico

Thank you for the responses. I asked this same question to a man at El Yunque who grew up on Long Island but has lived in Puerto Rico for 15 years. He said I shouldn't have even handed over my license to the officer because they have been known to hold onto the license as dolphingvp says above. I suppose I am trained to do what they ask because I know things would not end well for me in the states if I refused to give an officer my license when requested. I rented the car through Enterprise and presented them with the ticket when I returned the car. They all suggested that I not pay the ticket because the cop marked that the car was the responsible party on the ticket (other options were driver and passenger). They said they would ask their regional manager what needs to be done and will contact me in a few days.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Speeding ticket in Puerto Rico

The man you meet at El Yunque gave you bad advice. A police officer has the right to ask for your license if you are stopped for speeding. I had been stopped years ago in a rental car and received a hefty fine at a speed trap on the way to the airport. The officer did not take my license. He gave me a ticket which I never paid as there was no address on the ticket to send the payment by mail. My uncle who is a retired police officer told me not to worry about it.

8. Re: Speeding ticket in Puerto Rico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2014, 05:23