We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which activites should reserve ahead of time?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Which activites should reserve ahead of time?

Hello,

This is our first time to P.R. and would like to take in a snorkel tour, a flight from Cieba to Culebra on a small commuter airline to enjoy the beach with return on same day, and perhaps bioluminecent tour. I am a "wing it" kind of person deciding what to do depending on weather and mood. Will this get me in trouble when I decide to go for these activities? or should I secure these activites ahead of time?

I will be renting a condo just north of Fajardo, the rest of the time I will be driving to other attractions on the island at my leisure with return back to the condo in the evening.

My trip is Nov 6 Wednesday arriving 3:00 pm, and leaving the next Wednesday 3:00pm Nov 13.

Thanks, Don V.

Mentioned in this post
Culebra
Culebra
Puerto Rico
Fajardo
Fajardo
Puerto Rico
Borincano Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Hacienda La Esperanza
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
J Star Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Day Trips
usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which activites should reserve ahead of time?

In PR activities like the biobay tour, flights, and others require advance reservations. No one is standing around waiting for tourists. The tours are scheduled if enough people make reservations. Other activities require checking their schedule to see the days and hours of operation.

Edited: 25 October 2013, 19:51
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
871 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which activites should reserve ahead of time?

Weather can affect some activities and frustrate reservations, so having backup nearby alternatives are a good idea. Some things you can "wing it" depending on what it is. We did Ventana, Indio cave, Dos Bocas, electric boat for Fajardo biobay by walk up, and there are others. Flights to Culebra/Vieques may cancel walk ups of fewer than 3 passengers. Some services in PR are a laid back atmosphere, and we saw some standing around if there is not enough tourists or for unpleasant tourists...

Out

Mentioned in this post
Fajardo
Fajardo
Puerto Rico
Culebra
Culebra
Puerto Rico
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which activites should reserve ahead of time?

Thanks all for your replies

I should start reserving activities as soon as I arrive or earlier than that ?

I'm thinking my first day there I could plan activities according to the weather forecasts at that time.

thanks again

Don V.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which activites should reserve ahead of time?

You're not vacationing on a very busy week so you should be ok making reservations when you arrive. Just check the moon calendar for the biobay before making arrangements to visit the bay.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which activites should reserve ahead of time?

Thanks a lot, I saw that my 2nd or 3rd day on the island would be good for the bio tour I'll check flight schedules until my arrival to see if they start filling up for trips to culebra.

Don V

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which activites should reserve ahead of time?

I would reserve the bio bay in Fajardo well in advance. It is frequently booked out a week in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Fajardo
Fajardo
Puerto Rico
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which activites should reserve ahead of time?

Hi All,

I am happy to report that I was able to book Electric boat Bio Island excursion with in 24 hrs. due to a cancellation!

Although the luminescent was down 50%, was still interesting and the trip into the lagoon is really cool in the dark. We found out on other posts since then that they have shut down the Lagoon trips due to sewer runoff and the lack of luminescence.

Got a snorkel trip in on the East Wind within 24 hrs notice to Iacacos and Palamino islands, the Islander to Culebra was full though.

I also was able to book easily a flight the next day through Air Flamenco to Culebra for the day with in 24hrs notice and there was empty seats on both flights.

After Thanksgiving all operators said "book ahead early as we will be very busy thru the New Year

This time of year is extremely slow for all operations around this area - so pick your time of visit wisely.

prexplorer you were on the money..

Mentioned in this post
Culebra
Culebra
Puerto Rico
8. Re: Which activites should reserve ahead of time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2014, 06:19