We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help deciding on home base when in PR!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
32 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Need help deciding on home base when in PR!

Planning a trip in Feb 2014. We went in Feb 2013, stayed in Luquillo, loved it. We thought we would stay on the west side of the island this time - thinking of Aguadilla. My concern is having enough to do, and the long drive from San Juan (airport - we have to fly into SJU). Also concerned about finding a nice place near the water- we loved being able to hear the ocean while we slept in Luquillo. Our budget is around $150/night. We already did the biobay, and saw El Yunque and Culebra. This time we would like to perhaps do a snorkel outing, explore more of the island. We like a quieter area and would not be into surfing. It looks like there is more lodging in Rincon, but that is farther from the airport. Any thoughts/suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,005 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help deciding on home base when in PR!

Aguadilla is about an hour from San Juan, Rincon is about 3 hours. Other than the beaches near it, there's not much to do in Aguadilla.

If you prefer to stay closer to the airport and/or San Juan, why not stay there? Isla Verde is only 5 minutes from the airport, has a nice beach, many hotels on the beach or within walking distance to it, and the location is perfect in relation to sites.

From San Juan you can take day trips to Guavate (for roasted pork) and Ponce, you can visit Old San Juan, and if you want to see the west coast, you can do a day trip (or spend a night or 2) to Cabo Rojo, which has the nicest beaches on the island.

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help deciding on home base when in PR!

Rincon sounds like what you are looking for. There are many reasonable rentals on or within sight of a beach. From there explore Mayaguez, Cabo Rojo, Arecebo Observatory, Camuay caves, et al. This is a more spread out, quiet and laid back part of the island.

This is a bit further from SJU but you would have an entirely different experience on the island.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help deciding on home base when in PR!

The west side of the island is so different than the east! You won't regret the longer drive.

We stayed in a condo near Guanica and did lots of travelling around including Areciebo observatory, camuey caves, hiking in the Guanica forest, Ponce, and Cabo Rojo (gorgeous beach!).

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
32 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help deciding on home base when in PR!

Thanks to all for your thoughts! We have decided to stay in Rincon. We will have plenty of time on our departure day to get to the airport. Really looking forward to it!

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help deciding on home base when in PR!

Awesome! Have a great time :)

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help deciding on home base when in PR!

I will hijack this thread for my self instead of starting another on same subject lol. Wife and I are planning on going to PR in December and have decided to get a vacation rental instead of a hotel. Seems you can get much more for ones money. Anyway can't decide what area to stay in. East-rincon/aguadilla North- dorado/isle verde/luquillo or east- fajardo/humacao.

Plan on spending a lot of time at beach:enjoy waves not glass smooth. Renting a car to go exploring all over, playing some golf, do some excursions and if course eating lol. Thanks for y'alls help.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help deciding on home base when in PR!

Hi Mike, how long are you planning on staying? You could always split your time between locations. We stayed 2 weeks and divided our time 1 week in Luquillo and 1 week near Guanica in the southwest. I loved both areas, but if I could have only done 1, I would choose Luquillo.

The whole island has lots of cool things to see and do, although they are more concentrated in the east. East is relatively central el Yunque rain forest, 2 of the bioluminescent bays, and the ferry in Fajardo to Vieques and Culebra. There are also a few golf courses in the area in Rio grande and Fajardo. The beaches in the Luquillo area are nice; there were days in February that were much too rough to swim, so you may get your waves, although I hear Rincon is truly the spot for that.

You can get a better feel of what there is to do in each area by searching by region here http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help deciding on home base when in PR!

Thanks for the advice. We are planning for 10 days maybe two weeks if deal is good enough ;-)

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,005 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help deciding on home base when in PR!

mikeb316,

For your own benefit, and out of respect to the original poster, I suggest you start your own thread. Newer posts get more attention. Besides, the original poster may have chosen to be notified each time someone posts to the thread, which means they will be bombarded with emails that don't pertain to them.

Edited: 07 November 2013, 18:09
Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help deciding on home base when in PR!

I always choose to be email notified when a reply is posted, but it will only email me once, not each time a reply is posted, unless I post again in the same thread. Is it different for you?