We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Trip to Puerto Rico...

Miramichi, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Trip to Puerto Rico...

Hello fine folks of tripadvisor. This is my first post here. I love to travel and often read hotel reviews here but never took advantage of the forums before. I thought I'd give it a try. So my father and I have decided to spend Christmas in Puerto Rico this year. I'm 37 and he's 65. We are from New Brunswick, Canada. We found a cheap flight (about $500 return) and are very excited about discovering Puerto Rico. We arrive on Dec. 21st and leave on the 28th so we have one full week there. So far, I have only booked 2 nights at a hotel (a deal I came across on Travel Zoo for the Condado Hilton in San Juan) and now wondering what else to do for the rest of the trip.

So I'm wondering how many days do you think would be good for staying in San Juan? Is it a good idea to rent a car and drive around the rest of the island? What other parts of the island would you recommend? Any tips on where to stay besides San Juan? Any must see things or activities you would recommend?

Basically, any tips you can give would be greatly appreciated for us first time visitors to Puerto Rico. Thanks!

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Trip to Puerto Rico...

It all depends on what kind of vacation you want. Metro San Juan is large with well over 1.4 million people, high rises, congestion, crime, traffic jams, well you get the picture. It's fine if you want an urban experience. For a quieter low key experience consider Rincon on the west coast (popular with expats) or Luquillo or Fajardo in the east or even Vieques island.

2. Re: Christmas Trip to Puerto Rico...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2013, 14:40
cape cod ma
Level Contributor
367 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Trip to Puerto Rico...

Take a look at the "things to do" here. Puerto Rico offers so much! Bio bay, beaches, kayaking, rainforest, cave exploration, snorkel tours. history, museums, culture - they have it all! try to narrow down what interests you most. You will need to rent a car. That is also a busy time of year, so may need to pin down hotel reservations soon!

Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Trip to Puerto Rico...

With one week consider staying either Vieques or Culebra for two nights. Enjoy beach time or even Vieques Bio-Bay. Or you could stay in Fajardo in do day trips by ferry.

So, if you and your dad feel a bit of adrenaline rush go to Toro Verde Zip line. They have the second longest zip line in the world.

History buff: Arecibo's Radio Observatory, and Camuy's Cave park. Both are near each other(about 10 min apart) and can be done in one day trip.

Old San Juan and the fortresses can take about two full days to enjoy. Don't forget to visit The Cathedral where Ponce de Leon is buried- right across the Hotel El Convento.

Enjoy your trip.

5. Re: Christmas Trip to Puerto Rico...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2014, 06:21