We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Recommendation

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Recommendation

My husband and I will be in Puerto Rico for 3 nights/4 days in February. We'd like to stay in a hotel with a pretty beach, nice pool, comfortable rooms and good breakfast- a 3.5 to 4 star hotel with as reasonable a price as possible. We'll likely rent a car so that we can tour the rain forest, visit Old San Juan, go out for a dinner, and get to Bio Bay and Vieques Island. From what I've researched, I think it makes most sense for us to stay in the Rio Grande or Fajardo areas, but we're wondering how hotels in San Juan compare, especially beach-wise. I'll be 6 months pregnant at the time, so I'll definitely want some relaxing time too! Thanks!

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Recommendation

There is a large resort in Fajardo (El Conquistador) which sits atop a bluff overlooking the ocean. It is not beachfront but has a private offshore island with a beach. In the San Juan area there are a number of hotels/accommodation choices that are beachfront and on Isla Verde Beach, i.e., Intercontinental Hotel, Ritz Carlton, El San Juan, Courtyard by Marriott. I recommend the Intercontinental and Courtyard by Marriott. These hotels will put you within reach of Old San Juan. You would have to rent a car to see the other attractions you listed.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Recommendation

Thank you for your response! Are the beaches further from San Juan generally nicer? We can't decide if we'd rather be on the east coast of the island or closer to the city. The determining factor is drive time to the rainforest, bio bay, etc. and pretty beaches.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Recommendation

Elana,

I am not an expert on PR having only been there once but we are planning a return trip this winter for a long weekend. It seems to me that you have a lot scheduled if you want to also spend time relaxing by the pool. Perhaps you want to consider one of the hotels in Isla Verde since you can easily get to Old San Juan by taxi or bus for both day and night activities (great restaurants and wonderful atmosphere). You can also easily reach the bio bay and rain forest by renting your own car or taking an organized tour. Then I think you will also have some time to relax by the pool especially since Isla Verde is near the airport and that travel time is important when you only have 3 -4 days.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,230 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Recommendation

I've only been once myself but it seems like you're packing a lot in to a couple days. I recommend the Embassy Suites where my dh and I stayed this past Feb. The rooms are very large since they're suites, one room with a couch, chair and tv, then a separate bedroom, obviously a bathroom, fridge etc. The price includes breakfast which is really nice with made to order omelets, then a ton of the usual cereal, toast, bagels, pastries, yogurt, fruit, etc. There's also a 2 hour manager's reception every night with free drinks and snacks. There's a nice pool on the property. The beach is about a 5 min walk which would be understandable if you didn't want to do being 6 mo pregnant. They give you the stuff there though, umbrella, chairs and towels so you don't have to carry much to the beach. We took the public bus to Old San Juan which was only 75 cents/person. We didn't rent a car to do the rainforest or biobay but I wish we had done one of those things at least.

5. Re: Hotel Recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2014, 06:19