We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PR findings.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,255 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
PR findings.

Hello everyone! I hope that you all had a nice holiday. I sure did. I just returned from my 3-weeks holiday vacation in PR, having spent 2 weeks with my family in the south, and 1 week in San Juan with my boyfriend. While on the island, I found a few new cool things, some consistently good things, as well as some other things I'd like to share.

1. The Water Beach Club hotel is officially adults-only. Guests must be 21 years of age to check-in, and children are not allowed. It's a great boutique hotel for those looking for some peace and quiet. The hotel is chic and modern, has a beach front, and it's located in a cul-de-sac area, away from the busy main street (but only steps from it, and the other hotels and restaurants). My boyfriend and I really enjoyed out stay, and will definitely use this hotel again. I think that it's great to have an adults-only hotel at a very family-oriented destination because not all of us have kids, understand kids, or simply prefer to be around adults.

2. Bebo's near Condado no longer exists. It's now Basilia's, which is very different. The restaurant is half the size Bebo's used to be, while the service was good, the employees sit the tables where the patrons sit, chat and drink beer while at work, and the food is not as good as it used to be.

3. Lupi's (Mexican fusion) restaurant is very, VERY good. So is Piu Bello (gelato), and the restaurant across the street from the beach, at the corner from WBC hotel. These 3 places are fun, and certainly deserve a visit.

4. Kintaro sushi in Isla Verde is excellent. Great sushi, good prices. I highly recommend it.

5. It's Yoga PR (aka Ashtung Yoga) is GREAT. (Thank you, Beach_Orquid for recommending it.) My boyfriend loves hot yoga, and he absolutely loved this place. Our instructor, David is amazing: very kind and patient (and has the flexibility of a rubber-band). Those who are into yoga, should definitely check out this place. The classes do fill up, so sign in online ahead of time, and show up early if you want to secure a spot. Here's the website: http://www.itsyogapuertorico.com/

6. Metropol is great as usual. The food is always great, and the service is excellent. My party of 4 went there for lunch, but while the restaurant was packed, we were seated right away. The seafood (and everything else) is great at Metropol. There's a reason this restaurant is always highly recommended.

7. Drinking at hotels... Oh boy... $16 for a rum and coke... Not good. Get your booze at Walgreens or the supermarkets. It'll save you a boatload of money.

8. There's a small convenience store/cafeteria across the street from Intercontinental. Very convenient to say the least. It sells all kinds of things: from food, to personal items to wine. You can also sit down and eat there.

9. Guavate: my family and I attempted to find El Rancho Original. Forget it. The road is so twisty it made me dizzy. Los Amigos at the bottom of the highway ramp is still my number one choice. We ended up eating there, and the food was amazing as always. And get this: it has a parking lot (not big, but way better than not having one at all like the other lechoneras). I really don't see the need to go up the hill, get stuck in traffic, take forever to get there, and an eternity to find parking. Los Amigos is much easier to get to, and hassle-free. Here's the website: http://www.lechoneralosamigos.com/

That's it. I hope this is helpful to all. :)

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,255 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PR findings.

I almost forgot... My family and I rented a Casita at El Conquistador using Joinajoin.com. The Casita is privately owned, and the owner took very good care of us. Very attentive and the communicative. We rented for an entire weekend (Friday thru Monday). It was a very nice, smooth transaction, and the price couldn't be better. If anyone needs her contact information, I'll be happy to share.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,051 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PR findings.

Bebos Owners had fight and they separate the Restaurant in 2 spaces. That's why it's only half the size. They also changed the concept.They suppose to open something soon in Isla Verde.

What a shame !!!!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: PR findings.

Hi Paris, Thanks for the update.

Edited: 06 January 2014, 17:30
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,505 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PR findings.

Nice report!

Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PR findings.

Hi Paris, Great report for something old and something new! Your post will surely help first time visitors make a list of things to do.

Glad you enjoyed the yoga.

I like Piu Bello's gelatos, and those with rums are great for an 11:00 am refreshment :)

Leesburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
52 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PR findings.

I'd like to add to Paris' report on Guavate. We did drive all the way to the top, and I have to say I was disappointed. It has become very touristy. There are buses taking groups up, and it just adds to the crowds and chaos. It was always crowded, but mostly with families etc. Now its different, and I agree with Paris that there is really no need to drive all the way up there. I actually had the best lechon I've ever had at the bottom of the ruta lechon,on Rt 175, in between Trujillo Alto and Caguas (next to Lago Loiza). I wish I could remember the name of the place, I'll have to ask my brother in law. It was packed with people. No live music, just great food.

7. Re: PR findings.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2015, 06:23