We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breastfeeding in Public

ottawa
Level Contributor
474 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Breastfeeding in Public

What are the attitudes towards tourists breastfeeding in public in Puerto Rico? I know it's legal and I like to think I'm fairly discreet, but I don't want any fuss or to be glared at. I'm not trying to be political--I just want to know.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
8,625 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Breastfeeding in Public

Although it is not common here, as long as you do it discreetly you should not have any problems. In general, most people don't have a problem with breastfeeding in public, but with moms who think it is appropriate to flash their breast at strangers.

Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Breastfeeding in Public

You should be fine in PR. I breast fed my little one until he was 1yr 2 months, and had no inconveniences. I did used one of those large bib type to cover while feeding. None the less, I have a couple of friend who never used a cover and did just fine.

I second nytoparis last line, people tolerate breast feeding, but not exposition.

Carolina
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Breastfeeding in Public

Scratchmyfeet, my wife currently breastfeeds our 3 month old son everywhere we go here in Puerto Rico. At the mall, at the beach, in the car while am parked in a gas station, at restaurants or anywhere the little guy might get hungry. Its totally accepted anywhere you go here in PR may you be a tourist or.not.

Now keep in mind that anyone will stare at an exposed boobie....use a a small blanket to cover the ol' milk factory.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
21 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Breastfeeding in Public

Can't fathom I had anything to add to this discussion and yet- just got back from PR and happened to see several instances of this. It was more common than what I have seen in the states so funny you should ask- it appeared very accepted & respected.

5. Re: Breastfeeding in Public

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2015, 05:19