We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Humacao/Palmas Del Mar Tips and Tricks?

Minneapolis...
1 post
Save Topic
Humacao/Palmas Del Mar Tips and Tricks?

Greetings!

Excited for our trip to PR this coming Sunday. We have a large group and are renting a private residence in the Palmas Del Mar (area/neighborhood?) A few questions for those who have been recently:

1) How is the beach - is there one specifically we should be going to?

2) A little worried about area - seems like there is not a lot of restaurants or nightlife - any tips on this?

3) Does area seem safe for running or being out at night?

4) As far as things to do - it seems like we will be driving (we have rental cars) to do rainforest, Old San Juan, Bio Bay Tour and maybe a couple other top experiences like day-trip to Culebra. Any other top recommendations around this area that may not be as mentioned?

5) Any other tips for area or day trips to take - let me know!

Thanks for your help and ideas...

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
8,912 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Humacao/Palmas Del Mar Tips and Tricks?

Ummm....

The beach in Palmas del Mar is a bit rough.

The complex has very few restaurants. The area of Humacao doesn't have many local restaurants but plenty of fast food options. Areas closer to the beach, like Naguabo and Yabucoa have great seafood restaurants.

The complex is a huge residential community. There might be dedicated areas for running. Never walk on the beach at night (here or elsewhere). But the area is safe.

puerto rico
Level Contributor
236 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Humacao/Palmas Del Mar Tips and Tricks?

There are Some great spots ($$$) to eat in Palmas itself and in our area just one exit off the Palmas property include-($-$$)

Palmira Casa de Mofongo on road 3 a tiny bit past Humacao Nature Reserve

Playeritos on road 3 past the center of Punta Santiago town

Daniels,Paradise Seafood and my fav Frente Del Mar all in Punta Santiago on road 3.

Also near the shopping plaza called Plaza Palma Real one exit of 53 from Palmas are-

Rest Tokyo -good sushi and chinese food too

Crepes by Us-delicious

Chilis-not kidding it is good here!

Enjoy!

Edited: 28 January 2014, 23:05
usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Humacao/Palmas Del Mar Tips and Tricks?

Palmas del Mar is a large conglomerate of private residences whether they be condos, townhomes or single homes, i.e. a residential area in the municipality of Humacao. Included in it is a hotel and a golf course. It really isn't a big tourist area.

Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Humacao/Palmas Del Mar Tips and Tricks?

Palmas del Mar beach is very rough and has dangerous undertows. The beach in front of the Palmas del Mar hotel, Beach Village complex, Crescent Cove villas and Crescent Beach villas is very rough and I would avoid it. If you walk past all these complexes you will find an area with rocks that break up the waves and the sea is calmer, however, you need to be careful as the area is very rocky so it is best if you use water shoes.

If you have kids, I would encourage them to use the pools instead of the beach.

As for restaurants, if you drive to the town of Naguabo you will find a great oceanfront restaurant called Makitos. Nighlife you won't find in the Humacao area.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,932 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Humacao/Palmas Del Mar Tips and Tricks?

I second Makitos, great Seafood. They have a tank, so you can choose which Crab or Lobster you want. I also had excellent fish broth there. You can sit outside on the Balcony, but it does get hot there.

6. Re: Humacao/Palmas Del Mar Tips and Tricks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2015, 06:20