We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much cash is needed?

Lafayette, Indiana
Level Contributor
12 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
How much cash is needed?

I am wondering how much cash I need to bring for my upcoming trip to Puerto Rico.

I am guessing that taxis in Puerto Rico accept cash only, is this correct? In that case, do taxi drivers expect you to have the exact amount, or do they carry change to give if needed?

We will be taking taxi's in the old San Juan and tourist strip area (airport to hotel, hotel to downtown), and also in Vieques (don't worry - we're renting a jeep!! But we still need to take a taxi from the airport to our hotel and car rental place).

What other things must you have cash for? Do most restaurants accept credit cards?

Thanks in advanced for your advice!

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much cash is needed?

Everyone on vacation in Puerto Rico generally uses credit cards and they are accepted all over the island. I only bring about $200.00 in cash, much of it in small denominations like ones and fives for tipping. Tipping is expected from everyone in the service industry. There are established standard rates for taxis to any of the tourist zones in the Metro San Juan area and beyond.

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much cash is needed?

ATM machines are all over but generally carry a hefty fee -$3 -$3.50 for up to $300 to $500. As prexplorer said, Visa / MC are accepted almost everywhere. Amex, not so much.

Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,964 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much cash is needed?

For a week stay $200-300 cash should be enough. Most places accept credit cards; some small vendors may have a cc minimum amount of $10 (to cover POS charges).

You will likely need small amounts (ex $3, $4 etc) for items like water, ice cream and snacks.

Oh, and it is alwasy good to have enough cash for tips- specially for hotel services.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much cash is needed?

PR is part of the US and uses the US Banking system. You will be hooked up.

Bedford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,990 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much cash is needed?

I usually do 300.00 as I like to stop at roadside stands for snacks.

6. Re: How much cash is needed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2015, 06:20