We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from el conquistador to old San Juan

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
92 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from el conquistador to old San Juan

Is it safe to drive from the el conquistador to old San Juan? I'll be renting a car while staying at this hotel. Is there anywhere else I should be looking at driving to while there? Thanks as always!

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,527 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from el conquistador to old San Juan

It is completely safe. I would recommend driving during the day beings that you're not familiar with the area.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from el conquistador to old San Juan

How are you getting to the El Conquistador to begin with?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
92 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from el conquistador to old San Juan

We are renting a car

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from el conquistador to old San Juan

Ok. I was a little confused by the way you worded your initial post above asking about the drive from El Conquistador to San Juan. From the airport to Fajardo is an easy drive. Once you leave the airport drive east and get onto Rt 66 which is a divided toll highway until it ends and then continue east til you get to Fajardo. It's an easy shot.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
92 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from el conquistador to old San Juan

How about day trips from the hotel? Thanks by the way!

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from el conquistador to old San Juan

Most day trips out of El Con would be mostly on divided highways and modern toll roads. Aside from the fact that the turn signal is a mystery to most Puerto Ricans, driving in PR is easier than driving around Chicago. San Juan during rush hour can simulate the Chicago's Kennedy Expr on a Friday. Local roads can have a lot of potholes like uh.. Chicago, and yes, like Chicago, there are urban neighborhoods which are better avoided, but you will be unlikely to pass anywhere near them if you are day tripping to any tourist locale.

Go to puertoricandaytrips.com for hundreds of great places to drive to.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
832 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from el conquistador to old San Juan

The length of day trips depends on using main expressway during non "rush" times, as travel on regular roads can be slow due to stop lights. Street signs are often not easy to spot, and there is not much of a traditional numerical address system. I had good luck with my own GPS, preprogramed with coordinates of destinations, and a navigator.

Out

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from el conquistador to old San Juan

Day trips from Fajardo:

1. El Yunque rain forest

2. Luquillo Beach

3. Seven Seas Beach, Fajardo

4. Flamenco Beach, Culebra Island. The best beach in PR. Take the ferry in Fajardo.

5. snorkeling tour from Marina del Rey Marina in Fajardo.

6. Las Cabezas de San Juan lighthouse and nature tour in Fajardo. (reservations needed)

7. Old San Juan

8. Pork highway in Guavate for roast Pork restaurants & festivities (weekends)

9. Fajardo bioluminescent bay. www.biobay.com

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
92 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from el conquistador to old San Juan

You guys are the best-THANKS!

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
55 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from el conquistador to old San Juan

I agree with all of the above!! Having a car is great. People drive a little crazier then in the states though lol!! You are right around the corner from where we stayed. The rainforest and luquillo are a close, easy drive. The Biobay will only be 5-10 minutes. The ferry and the marina are close also. On Seven seas beach, we walked up the beach to the right and it was quite private up there. We also walked a pathway to the left to a more secluded beach which was beautiful, but the water was rougher. I would only do this with more of a group. We were warned by the lifeguards that there had been petty theft up at that end. We had no concerns though while we were there. There is so much to do!! On a side not, we really enjoyed Erin Go Bragh as a snorkeling tour from the marina. I have mentioned this on a couple of other recent posts, but I can not say enough about how happy we all were with them..Enjoy!!