We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for Dining

Springfield, MA
Level Contributor
106 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for Dining

Vacationing in Puerto Rico soon with 4 adults, a 4 year old and a one year old. We are staying in Luquillo and will have a full kitchen at our accommodations. A couple of questions:

Recommendations for great family dining in the area? We like all types of food - as long as it is delicious.

Where should we shop for groceries? Is there a grocery store/market in Luquillo?

Lastly, we are planning to visit El Morro. Best places to eat or snack nearby?

Thanks so much for your recommendations and knowledge. Looking forward to our first visit to Puerto Rico!!

San Juan Snorkel and Picnic Cruise
707 reviews
from US$83.00*
Culebra Day Trip by Catamaran from...
291 reviews
from US$113.00*
Special Offer
Old San Juan Sunset Sail
32 reviews
from US$66.50*
US$95.00
Old San Juan Food Tour
268 reviews
from US$92.19*
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2,653 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for Dining

Hi ffl, there are lots of spots in Old San Juan to snack or dine. For a 1st time visit, try the Parrott Club on S. Forteleza, its several blocks from El Morro, but its all down hill and you can take in the sites and shops on your way down.

Edited: 14 February 2014, 14:15
usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for Dining

A local franchise "El Meson" is right on the main square Plaza de Armas in Old San Juan. They serve breakfast and lunch. It's reasonable and tasty.

Edited: 14 February 2014, 15:30
Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,209 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for Dining

In Recinto Sur Street, they have one Restaurant after the other. All have Menu's outside to see. I lke Rest. Mojito. Someone told me there is a great Seafood Restaurant in that Street too, sorry forgot the Name

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for Dining

Luquillo Family Dining:

The Brass Cactus is the best family place in Luquillo. Pub like place with great ribs, burgers, etc. It is at the bottom of the Western most high rise in Luquillo.

The Kioscos are a row of about 30 +/- small restaurants just west of Luquillo or Rt 3 (almost but not quite walkable). My favorites are Ay Bonito, Burger Shack, Vegigante, Congas by the Sea. Don't be put off by the rough appearance - these are a PR institution.

Pasta y Pueblo: Near the beach in down town Luquillo. Literally a shack, but has some of the best food in all PR. Has been rated among the best restaurants in PR on TA.

Shopping:

There is an Amigo supermarket just across Rt 3 from Luquillo (just back from the Walgreens, KFC etc which are highly visible from Rt 3). Medium size and good for most things. If you want a bigger shop, go to Ralf's - very large super grocery. One is at the intersection of Rt 66 and Rt 3 in Rio Grand (on your way from the airport. One is in Fajardo on Rt 3 - look for the CVS sign, next right. The Fajardo one has a warehouse store attached if you need a case of salsa. Both Ralfs are bout equidistant from Luquillo.

Springfield, MA
Level Contributor
106 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for Dining

Thank you all so much for your recommendations!! I am getting very excited for some true Puerto Rican cuisine.

WPTA - thank you for the supermarket information.

One other questions regarding the supermarkets and pharmacies for anyone out there with babies: I am bringing a 10 month old and will need diapers, formula and baby food. Should I bring enough with me for the trip or can I get Pampers and Similac formula easily?

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,209 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations for Dining

Unless your Baby need something very specific,no problem. We have the same Similac and Diapers here as the Mainland

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations for Dining

There is about one fully stocked Walgreens every couple of hundred yards. No need to bring much of anything.

Springfield, MA
Level Contributor
106 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendations for Dining

Thanks so much!! I really appreciate everyone taking the time to answer questions and give recommendations.

Any "musts" for a visit to Puerto Rico? Planning to check out El Yunque, El Morro and Luquillo Beach. Is there anything I am missing that I should add to the list? I have heard the Biobays are nice - but I noticed that they are not great right now and there are a couple of different ones. Any one better than the others right now?

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendations for Dining

The one in Fajardo is close by. The other main one is on Viequas and is a bit of a treck. Go to puertodaytrips.com for current details and schedules along with details on many many other things to do.

10. Re: Recommendations for Dining

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2015, 07:18