We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we need to reserve campgrounds in advance?

Montreal, Canada
6 posts
Save Topic
Do we need to reserve campgrounds in advance?

Hello,

We are travelling backpack and plan to sleep mainly in campground when it is possible. We are planning to make a loop on the west coast and finding campgrounds along the way from San Juan, to Rincon, to Ponce and back to San Juan. We also plan to spend some time on the Culebra island.

We would be in Puerto Rico from March 5th to March 15th 2014.

For this route, do you think it is necessary to reserve in advance?

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Rincon
Rincon
Puerto Rico
Ponce
Ponce
Puerto Rico
Culebra
Culebra
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
Flamenco Beach Campground
Flamenco Beach Campground
#6 of 20 Speciality lodging in Culebra
Cabanas Kitten
Cabanas Kitten
#1 of 5 Speciality lodging in Boqueron
Centro Vacacional Lago Caonillas Utuado
Centro Vacacional Lago Caonillas Utuado
#1 of 2 Speciality lodging in Utuado
usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do we need to reserve campgrounds in advance?

Yes, technically you are supposed to get a permit to camp at any of the camping sites according to the DNRA. They want at least 15 days notice and the fee is $4.00 per night per person.

Montreal, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Do we need to reserve campgrounds in advance?

okay, where do I get these permit? do you it is fine to get a permit less than 15 days before?

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do we need to reserve campgrounds in advance?

The Puerto Rico Department of Natural Resources (DNRA)

http://www.drna.gobierno.pr/formularios

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
Montreal, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do we need to reserve campgrounds in advance?

oh, I am not sure to understand the website...do we need a permit for each campground or we can ask for a general permit which is valid for various campground for 10 days for example ?

thanks

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do we need to reserve campgrounds in advance?

The above was information relating to the state forest areas.

Info. on Flamenco Beach in Culebra and making reservations:

campingculebra.com/2013/01/camping-at-flamen…

www.islaculebra.com/puerto-rico/camping.html

Mentioned in this post
Flamenco Beach
Flamenco Beach
3,230 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Culebra
Culebra
Puerto Rico
Montreal, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Do we need to reserve campgrounds in advance?

Hi!

I'm kind of confuse right now...do we need a permit for every campground in Puerto Rico or only the one IN the States Forests?

It isn't easy to join someone at theDRNA who can speak English..I also called the Seven Seas Beach and they told me that I do not need a permit either any reservation there, but they were closed on Monday and Tuesday, like others campgrounds during the low season. Since we had some trouble communicating, I would like to confirm this information (that I might not need a permit on beaches and that all campgrounds are closed on Monday and Tuesday during the second week of March).

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
Seven Seas Beach
Seven Seas Beach
223 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do we need to reserve campgrounds in advance?

You do need individual permits for each camp ground, including beach areas. There is no permit, all in one type, for all camp grounds.

It is illegal to camp at beach without a permit. And not every beach has a camping area nearby. Many locals will camp on beach during summer time (without a permit), but still could be fined by DRNA if they do not have permits.

There are some trailer park areas, that are available for rent; but this is a hit or miss item since you can't really tell trailer conditions until you are actually there.

8. Re: Do we need to reserve campgrounds in advance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2015, 05:17