We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June Visit

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
June Visit

Hi - we are considering going on vacay to SJ in June (hubby and I as well as our 5 yr old) and I'm trying to figure out where best to stay and if we should divy up our week long trip between SJ and somewhere else. We are beach people (we try to hit a caribbean island every year) and I understand that PR/SJ has a more a metropolitan feel than a caribbean island (I've been to SJ for work and this is our first time as a family). Rather than rambling on, here are my questions -

- I keep reading about Isla Verde having the nicest beach in SJ, but i'm concerned over airport noise and fumes and the reviews of the hotels aren't so stellar. Can anybody recommend a condo-plex that's farther from the airport but still being on the Isla Verde Beach?

- We're also open to going to another part of PR after staying a couple of days in SJ, but still within an hour drive away from the airport to get our beach on - is this possible and where would you recommend? Unfortunately, Culebra and Vieques is out of the running, but would love to visit someday.

I guess I still rambled on, but hope it makes sense. Thanks in advance for your input!

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June Visit

Let me start off by saying that there are no jet fumes at the hotels on Isla Verde Beach. Airport noise is also minimal so that these are really non-issues. The Intercontinental Hotel is nice and has a nice pool area and it's directly on the beach. I can tell you this from personal experience.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
8,744 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June Visit

Look into Rincon, Isabela, Luquillo, Rio Grande and Fajardo. These areas are less urbanized than SJ.

Why are Vieques and Culebra out? Those look like what you are looking for. Flying there is easy and inexpensive.

Chantilly, Virginia
Level Contributor
395 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June Visit

I do a ton of research when I plan our family vacations and read extensive reviews on this forum before planning our first trip to PR in Jan 2013. Access to a good beach and proximity to SJU were key factors for us since we were only there for a short time, I chose Luquillo and specifically, the Playa Azul complex for our family. We spent one day in Old San Juan at the forts which was great, but we all really liked staying in Luquillo and were glad we did not stay in San Juan since we were focused on the beach, El Yunque, and Bio bay which were all very near Luquillo.

Playa Azul has 1, 2, and 3 BR condos with nice ocean views for a very good price especially compared to hotel rates. It is so nice to have a kitchen and washer/dryer. Also, many of the homeowners supply beach towels, beach chairs, boogie boards, sand toys, balls, etc. Use VRBO or HomeAway and look closely at the photos and reviews to get the best units there. The location was great for us. The beach in front of Playa Azul had some good waves when we were there but there is another public beach just a couple of minutes away that is reported to be very calm. We liked Playa Azul & Luquillo so well, we are going again the week after Christmas this year. Feel free to message me with any specific questions.

If you are looking for a resort, Playa Azul is NOT a resort, but it does have a nice pool and good beach. When we go at New Years, we plan to spend 5 nights at Playa Azul and our last night in San Juan since we have an early flight. Have not selected a hotel there but the Courtyard Marriott in Isla Verde looks good for a decent price.

Here are my reviews of the complex and my trip report.

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

tripadvisor.com/…48182088

4. Re: June Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2015, 04:20