We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things I've learned in Puerto Rico

Maple Grove...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Things I've learned in Puerto Rico

Overall it's a great 10-day vacation trip. We stayed in Ocean Park. We visited Old San Juan, El Yunque, hiked to Britton Tower, swam in La Mina Falls, stayed over Vieques, beaches and beaches, day-tripped to Culebra, beaches and beaches, stayed in Fajardo, swam at Luquillo beach, visited Botanical Garden. Love it and will come back to do things in the west, south, and central next time. A few lessons learned from the Puerto Rico trip.

#1. They think I'm Puerto Rican cause of my dark skin. They speak to me in Spanish no matter where I go and talk to my wife Lynn in English. I've got to learn Spanish so I don't look like a dork.

#2. Left lane on highway isn't the fast lane. Grandpa can take his Sunday drive all day long in left lane. Everybody else just have to go around him. Only 3% driving crazy speed and the rest is normal. Driving toll roads can be expensive but it’s so good. Roads everywhere are narrow.

#3. On islands, horses run free, chickens run free, dogs run free and in pack. During the jog on Vieques, dogs followed me and sometimes snarled at me. How about meeting two huge German Sheperds while you’re walking. I can’t get over the fears of meeting them. Roosters crowing day and night and if one starts the others will join in too then it’s like a crow-fest. Gonna shoot the roosters next time.

#4. Milk and cheese don't make me sick. I can drink coffee latte all day long. Eat burritos with cheese and don't get sick. I think the milk is goat milk they put in the coffee. Lattes are cheap.

#5. Pinchos (Kabobs) on the stick are good to eat from roadside vendors. Stay away from deep-fried plantains stuff. Baked plantains are great. They don’t eat a whole lot of vegetables. Chicken meat is very fresh. Love those Pinchos.

#6. Cars must have good suspension and tires. Potholes everywhere. Roads are bad except the toll highways.

#7. Restaurants are expensive. Fresh fruits and vegetables are good and cheap. Not a whole lot of GMO stuff there. Fresh coconut breads in the morning are great. Fresh chicken eggs too. If you can cook, it's the way to go.

#8. There’s a big difference between clock time and island time. Yup there’s such thing as island time and it’s like 30-60 mins behind clock time.

#9. Vieques and Culebra islanders love reggae music and dancing. When you dance, make sure you lift your knee higher than normal and upper body bopping keeping up with the beats. Bob Marley is 2nd God.

#10. The cook can bypass your order and let his friends jump ahead of you. Lynn was really mad when her sandwich order got pushed back for the cook’s friends and she was already waiting for a long time. Cooks and servers can social on the side with friends. This is part of normal island time?

Mentioned in this post
Culebra
Culebra
Puerto Rico
Fajardo
Fajardo
Puerto Rico
Luquillo
Luquillo
Puerto Rico
NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,096 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things I've learned in Puerto Rico

loved it. especially about the roosters.

it's not just the cooks that let friends go fist.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10,174 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things I've learned in Puerto Rico

#1 PRicans come in all shape and colors. I think its your demeanor that makes them think you are local. People always address me in English when I'm in the tourist area.

#2 You are so right. There is no concept of fast/slow lane here. Oh, and then the slow drivers decide to change lanes just as you are passing them!

#4 We have no goat milk. Most places warm up the milk before serving it with coffee. That's why you don't get as sick as in the states, where milk is served cold to add to coffee.

#5 We all love pinchos. Do you know that we claim to have invented them? ;)

#6 I wish they made special tires for our roads...

#7 there is a variety of restaurants for all budgets. But of course, things are a bit pricier in the tourist areas. like any regular downtown.

#8,10 We live forever on island time. You have to be very patient around here.

All in all looks like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing.

Maple Grove...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Things I've learned in Puerto Rico

About the milk in PR. It's not the same as in US states. I can warm up whole milk and still will get stomach aches. I would love to know the brand they're using.

Maple Grove...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Things I've learned in Puerto Rico

frankipoo. We had great time at La Nasa in Esperanza when Mike and his band playing. BTW, those Pain Killer drinks are good!

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,965 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things I've learned in Puerto Rico

#8 is so true. My family and friends, who still live in PR, always say "tell so and so to come/will be picked up an hour before (the desired time) so they come/are ready at (the desired time)". It's a common way of thinking. PRicans are always -at least- an hour late. Personally, I learned to be punctual when I moved to the mainland US after 25 of living in PR.

#10 is a culture thing. Friends and family always come first. Literally!

#3 - If I had a shotgun, I too would shoot those annoying little buggers.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,430 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things I've learned in Puerto Rico

When I moved to PR, I use to hurry all the time. But I would get dizzy a lot, so I slowed down and realized that in this heat YOU HAVE TO SLOW DOWN !!!!!. I am not sure where you find cheap fruits and veggies. I don't find them cheap at all.I pay $ 2 for 3 Platanos and my Son In Orlando gets 8 or 10 for $ 1. But beside that, I think you got areal taste of Puerto Rico and the Vieques feel. I don't mind the Rooster, I'd rather have them make noise before I see them getting hurt in those barbaric Cock fights

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
267 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things I've learned in Puerto Rico

nice post.....looking forward to seeing it all for myself soon!

8. Re: Things I've learned in Puerto Rico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2015, 05:20