We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Experience Puerto Rican culture

Level Contributor
1 post
48 reviews
Save Topic
Experience Puerto Rican culture

My family and I (our daughter is 6 and learning spanish) are spending a week in Puerto Rico this summer. I would like to have some typical touristy experiences (beach etc) but also show her the fun of living in and learning about another culture. I get the impression, however, that most places in touristy areas (vieques for example) are run by Americans or Europeans. We do not want to stay in resorts or all-inclusives.

Do you have any recommendations for us? Maybe there is a language school or organization that provides homestays with families?

Spread Eagle II
Sightseeing Tours
Salty Dog Catamaran
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
Fun Cat Catamaran
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,618 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Experience Puerto Rican culture

PR is a US territory, therefore, some attractions are protected and run by the US federal government. That being said, the Old San Juan is the best way to learn about the discovery of the island and its history. Then the Tibes Ceremonial Park (below) in Ponce is the best way to explore the PRican origins. Also, Guavate is the best way to enjoy our traditional dishes.

As far as where to stay, unless you already know a family or have friends you can stay with, you will have to use the typical lodging options. Staying with a local family is not customary in PR as families are a very big deal, and very personal. I suggest renting a condo instead. Visit vrbo.com to see the available listings.

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/tibes/

2. Re: Experience Puerto Rican culture

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2015, 05:16