We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Yunque rainforest ... 2 questions ??

Florence, KY
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
El Yunque rainforest ... 2 questions ??

Hello - I am interested in visiting the rainforest with my family (husband, 20 y/o and 17 y/o) while on vacation.

1. What does a guided tour add? Is it worth it? Do they mostly just provide info on the flora? We are animal lovers but I understand there are not many animals to be seen.

2. If we visit the rainforest on our own and hike but want to do ziplining, are there zipline tours we can sign up for once at the rainforest or do we need to plan that ahead of time?

Thank you for any info.

Florence, KY
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Yunque rainforest ... 2 questions ??

Anybody have any info please ???

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,930 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: El Yunque rainforest ... 2 questions ??

There are no ziplines inside El Yunque National Forest. There are 3 in the foothills of El Yunque. Advance reservations are required (you cannot just "show up"). Our favorite there is Yunke Zipline Adventure. They do 2 small-group tours/day.

Florence, KY
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Yunque rainforest ... 2 questions ??

Thank you . Should we do a guided tour of the rainforest or do hiking on our own? Do tours do anything besides hike the trails and provide info about the surroundings?

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Yunque rainforest ... 2 questions ??

Junglequi and Rainforest Zipline Corp are the 2 zipline companies right off of RT 191. You need prior reservations for all of them (including Yunque, which is just a mile or 2 down RT 3).

About the tour of El Yunque- I have never been on a formal tour by a company of El Yunque, but I have heard some as the groups walk by. Some are probably great, some are definitely not. They will tell you about the origins of the forest, the trees/plants/animals you may see in the forest. But they usually only do either La Mina or Big Tree trail to La Mina falls. There is so much more to El Yunque than that. And they all seem to get there at the same time, so it gets crowded.

Or you can do a search ahead of time and do it yourself and go on any/all trails at your own pace and time. Get there early to avoid the crowds, see the less crowded waterfalls, take the kids to the rivers for rope swings and/or natural water slides.

5. Re: El Yunque rainforest ... 2 questions ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2015, 06:17