We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is PR a good place to visit with kids?

4 posts
Save Topic
Is PR a good place to visit with kids?

Is Puerto Rico a good place to vacation with a 9-year old? I spoke to a travel agent recently who was hispanic and he didn't recommend it, but I wanted to hear the opinions of others as well. We have Marriott points we could use to stay there, but not sure if it would be a great place to vacation as a family.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,761 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is PR a good place to visit with kids?

PR is more family oriented than other caribbean islands, who have much more of a party atmosphere or couples only hotels. It is safe to drive around, so you can experience the culture and visit nature sites (rainforest, caves, biobay) outside of the metro/tourist area. So I'm not sure why your travel agent was against it.

Search the forum and you will see ideas on what to do with kids.

Schaumburg, IL
Level Contributor
792 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is PR a good place to visit with kids?

We visited PR with our two kids ages 11 and 13 and we thought it was very family friendly. We stayed in Fajardo at Las Casitas Village and we enjoyed the Biobay excursion, El Yunque rainforest and also a day in Old San Juan. I felt there was a good mix of history and culture. Just as a comparison we spent a week in St. Thomas last spring and I felt it was not family friendly at all as the previous poster noted there was more of an emphasis on rum drinks and beaches without much to offer in the way of history and culture.

4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is PR a good place to visit with kids?

He was of the opinion that it wasn't totally safe. He said he took his family there and that even though they could speak the language, he said it was easy to accidentally end up in a potentially dangerous area, which made him nervous. Seeing as my family isn't bilingual, he didn't recommend it.

However, after seeing these two posts, I think I should consider it, because you both obviously had a positive experience and your families felt safe.

kle
Boston
Level Contributor
834 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is PR a good place to visit with kids?

We just returned from a trip to Puerto Rico, including Vieques, with two young children (9 and 3.5 years old) and I never felt unsafe. Sure there is plenty of poverty and crimes of opportunity, but you could say that about most US metropolitan areas. We rented a condo in Isla Verde and then a house in Esperanza, so we weren't cocooned in a resort of any kind. Just use common sense and follow the advice given on tripadvisor and other local sources and you'll be fine.

We think that it's important for our children to know from a young age that the world is not like our neighborhood at home. That said, we wouldn't take them somewhere obviously unsafe, such as Nigeria, the Middle East, or Turkey! And just for some context, we arrived in Cancun last year (heading to Tulum) only to be utterly shocked by the news of the marathon bombing in our beloved Boston. You never know when tragedy will strike but common sense will go a long way.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,761 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is PR a good place to visit with kids?

Not sure how speaking spanish will prevent you from getting into a dangerous area. Certainly I wish dangerous places had a huge warning sign at the entrance :)).

Honestly, there are very few places here that I would consider super dangerous. The other day I was lost and stopped right in front of the projects to ask for directions. Even if you do step into such a place, they will realize you are a tourist and leave you alone.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is PR a good place to visit with kids?

There is plenty to see and do with a nine year old. Do research here on activities, beaches, sightseeing, restaurants, etc. You won't go wrong. Knowledge is power.

Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is PR a good place to visit with kids?

Your kid will enjoy visiting PR. With so many things to do, you will have trouble deciding what to do :)

El Morro Fortress and OSJ are a must for families. On Sundays OSJ is filled with families out for a stroll, site seeing and dinner.

If times allows, and you want some beach time, stay at El Conquistador in Fajardo. The resort has a nice small water park for kids to enjoy and parents too. From there you can do day trip to El Yunque and visit the Bio Bay too. Also, you could drive to Luquillo for a stops at the kiosks there.

I'm not sure why your travel agent said that it was easy to end up in a "potentially dangerous area", really? Has he gone to Chicago, LA, NYC? Not that these are really dangerous cities, but still driving in an off beaten path, and not knowing where you are can make you feel a bit unsafe. Just use common sense and you will be fine.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,730 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is PR a good place to visit with kids?

I don't have kids but I definitely think PR is a family friendly place. The beach was great as was Old San Juan. I could see kids having a blast walking throughout the forts.

No. Illinois
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is PR a good place to visit with kids?

Our very first visit to PR we took our girls early teens and we traveled the whole island staying at different places every couple of days. We never ever felt unsafe. You will be just fine only speaking English. Just use common sense as others have posted and you will have a wonderful time. Enjoy!

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is PR a good place to visit with kids?

Always took our 3 kids, no issues.