We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stairs in Old San Juan

Pelham, Canada
Level Contributor
352 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Stairs in Old San Juan

I have read that OSJ is quite hilly. Are there a lot of stairs to climb when exploring or are there ramps and inclines around the city? Dealing with knee problems and I do just fine if there are limited stairs in my life at the moment! Thank you

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
934 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stairs in Old San Juan

It is hilly, not stairy. The street tiles are antique stones and are somewhat difficult to walk on. As part of USA all places have to conform with the law that requires accesibility to persons with disabilities.

Edited: 22 May 2014, 02:51
Pelham, Canada
Level Contributor
352 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stairs in Old San Juan

Thanks that is good to know. I am having the knee replaced once we get home and I plan to enjoy our trip .....stairs or no stairs.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,112 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stairs in Old San Juan

There are hills, but no steps. You can take the free trolley from the piers to the forts to save your knees. If you are arriving by cab, tell the driver to drop you off at El Morro and then work your way down.

Pelham, Canada
Level Contributor
352 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stairs in Old San Juan

We plan on taking the bus to OSJ and possibly using a cab back to Isla Verde. Is the free trolley close to the bus station so we can take that to El Morro? We are planning on spending 2 days exploring the city. Do we need to print out a street map before we leave or are they easily available once we arrive. Thanks so much for your replies.

Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stairs in Old San Juan

The bus will drop you very near one of the trolley stops. But I strongly suggest taking taxi to OSJ; unless you don't mind "chancing it" and waiting for a bus to arrive (15-40 min standing wait); then you have your average 30 min bus drive (because of all the stops it makes on the way). A cab will get you into OSJ in 15 min or less.

Trolley goes around mayor points of interest in OSJ, so you can walk a bit and grab a ride later.

Don't miss the PR's Tourism Office, down by the port area, where you get maps, tour details, and a free drink :)

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,112 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stairs in Old San Juan

If the tourist info is closed, you can grab a map at a store.

Pelham, Canada
Level Contributor
352 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stairs in Old San Juan

Okay thanks for all the info

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stairs in Old San Juan

Do you think you can handle a segway tour so as to avoid all of the walking and yet getting up close and personal?

http://www.segwaytourspr.com/

Edited: 26 May 2014, 02:37
Pelham, Canada
Level Contributor
352 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stairs in Old San Juan

Thanks. They certainly look interesting but at the moment I prefer doing as much as I can on my own 2 feet! I think between the trolley and available ramps I should be fine. We are really looking forward to our trip to PR.

10. Re: Stairs in Old San Juan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2015, 05:15