We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 Nights, 5 Days Trip - What to do?

chicago
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
4 Nights, 5 Days Trip - What to do?

My girlfriend and I will be visiting Puerto Rico for our first time over 4th of July weekend. We're staying for 4 nights and 5 days and would like to see as much as possible while still having a day or two to relax at a beach. We're planning on renting a car for a few days or the entire time so transportation shouldn't be an issue and allow us to cover more ground.

We've been told to spend a day or two in old San Juan walking around town. Is this too much or too little time? What should we make sure we see?

What beaches/areas should we visit? Should we go to El Yunque.

Any recommendations/suggestions welcomed! We're open to anything just need to know what areas to check out.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,619 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 Nights, 5 Days Trip - What to do?

The time you should spend at any location is relative and depends on your interests. At least spend a full day in OSJ. Try to go to both forts, as they are unique and you cannot see that anywhere else.

You should go to El Yunque if you want to see the rainforest and waterfalls. You can hike through paved trails. A full day trip to the east will take you to El Yunque, then lunch at Luquillo kiosks, some beach time in Luquillo or Fajardo, then the biobay.

There are plenty of things to see and do here. Go through the things to do. We can better assist you if you have specific questions.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 Nights, 5 Days Trip - What to do?

We are also taking a trip to Puerto Rico in early September, planning to spend five nights and 6 days. I am having a hard time coming up with the itinerary. I thought I had it figured out but I keep second-guessing things, I think there are too many choices! I appreciate the response above and it reinforces many of the ideas I am thinking of. My question now is about lodging. We do want to go to El Yunque and see the Northeast, including the bio bay. I figured we would spend a night or two away from San Juan and am looking for some recommendations regarding that. Would you recommend staying in Fajardo, or Luquillo? Not sure I'm ready to take on trying to get out to one of the islands and staying there. We are doing this on a budget and adding the island flights to the itinerary seems like too much, and it sounds as though the ferry is somewhat unreliable? Thanks so much for any advice!

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,619 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 Nights, 5 Days Trip - What to do?

If you want to stay in the east, check the areas of Rio Grande, Fajardo and Luquillo. These towns are adjacent to each other, so it really makes no difference which one you choose. Look for hotels/rentals, and pick one based on budget and ammenities. You will have a rental car, so it is easy to move around to the different areas.

4. Re: 4 Nights, 5 Days Trip - What to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2015, 06:16