We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott Resort or Ritz-Carlton?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Marriott Resort or Ritz-Carlton?

My wife and I are traveling to Puerto Rico next week for a 9 day anniversary vacation. I currently have a reservation at the Marriott Resort in San Juan, but I can cancel by Friday without having to pay a fee. I recently checked rates and saw that the Ritz-Carlton significantly dropped their rates and is now cheaper than the Marriott. Which beach is better, Condado or Isla Verde? The Ritz is a 5 star and the Marriott is a 4 star, has anyone been to both to provide a good comparison? I would imagine that both are well kept, have similar fees/costs, excellent staff, etc., but is there anything that sets one apart from the other? Any information about either hotel will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2,629 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriott Resort or Ritz-Carlton?

Hi Kris,

The most significant difference between these hotels in location. The Ritz is a little off by itself in Isla Verde. It has a very nice stretch of beach, but it is separated from the main and longer portion of Isla Verde beach. The Marriot Stellaris is located in the heart of the Condado beachfront neighborhood. Its walking distance to a number of great restaurants, bars and upscale shops. Its also convenient to Old San Juan. If you can wrangle a corner room on a high floor in the main tower, you get 2 balconies and a tremendous ocean view. I personally, would choose the Marriot.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,043 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriott Resort or Ritz-Carlton?

I would go with the Ritz. 5 Star, great reviews, nice pools a great beach. Yes you will need to walk down the Blvd a half mile or so to get to the shops. My opinion.

Washington
Level Contributor
154 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriott Resort or Ritz-Carlton?

Disclaimer - I have stayed at the Ritz a couple times and only have walked through the Marriott.

That said, unless location is a top priority I would give the nod to the Ritz. The beach is much better (and safer) and I think the pool and facilities are nicer at the Ritz as well. There is plenty to do within a short walk of the Ritz and Old San Juan is a 20 minute taxi ride apart. You might get a bigger room for your money at the Marriott maybe with a better view, but the rooms at the Ritz are very nice and comfortable.

FWIW, our last trip we had reservations at the Marriott for a suite for our family of five. We ended up cancelling and going with two connecting rooms at the Ritz for just about the same price. We'll probably book at the Ritz again for our next trip as long as the rates are reasonable.

Dumont, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1 post
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriott Resort or Ritz-Carlton?

Marriott I'll be there next week also my husbands. 60th this will be our 4th time there.

5. Re: Marriott Resort or Ritz-Carlton?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2015, 06:16