We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash vs Credit Cards / Happy Hours

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Cash vs Credit Cards / Happy Hours

My wife and I are getting ready for our trip next week and I have two more questions.

1. Cash vs Credit Cards

I always bring some cash with me to accommodate tipping and the occasional drink/meal from vendors that don't accept credit cards. Do the majority of the restaurants/attractions/etc. accept credit cards? We will be staying at the Marriott in Condado and Las Casitas Village in Farjado. I assume must tourist places will, but we want to venture out and visit local places too.

2. Happy Hour

Last year our trip was to Key West and after several days of paying hundreds of dollars in over priced drinks, we stumbled upon a great place that had an awesome happy hour for drinks and appetizers. We would have saved so much money had we known about places like this at the start of our trip. So my question is, are there any good restaurants/bars with happy hours worth visiting in San Juan and Farjado? From the reviews I have read, the resorts we are staying at will leave us broke and unsatisfied if we eat and drink with them everyday.

Spread Eagle II
Sightseeing Tours
Salty Dog Catamaran
Sightseeing Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours
Fun Cat Catamaran
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,294 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash vs Credit Cards / Happy Hours

Yes, credit cards are widely accepted all around the island - just like back in Houston.

Sorry, other than a glass or two of wine at dinner I'm not a big drinker so I can't give you suggestions on which places people frequent for "Happy Hour".

Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash vs Credit Cards / Happy Hours

Yes the drinks at El Conquistador & Marriott can empty your wallet fast and worst of all is that you will barely have a hangover :) to show for it. In Fajardo on the "las Croabas area", very near El Con, there are plenty of small restaurants and kiosks that have drinks and appetizers at a great price. This is the place to try our filled fried turnovers "empanadillas"; filled with fish, crab, lobster, octopus , conch, etc.

On the Condado area there are small rest/bars that have happy hours. Most happy hours are for a type of drink or beers. Be on the look out for posters and promotions regarding happy hours.

For a free drink try the PR tourism office in OSJ, down by the pier area. They have a bartender who will explain the many rums manufactured in PR and how they vary in taste. Then he gives you samples and makes a really good drink for you.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,379 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash vs Credit Cards / Happy Hours

Agreed. The big thing is to get away from the resorts. I always bring my own. Liqour is readily available in grocery stores etc. You can bring a cooler and drink openly on the beaches in PR. That is what most people do. The El Con is a different story. Their private island does not allow you to bring any beverages. You have to purchase from them. At the pool I will purchase 1 drink and refill the cup in my room. At the Marriott, just fill up a cooler and head to the beach.

4. Re: Cash vs Credit Cards / Happy Hours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2015, 05:17