We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is PR safe? (San Juan, Manatí, and San Germán)

Phoenix, Arizona
2 posts
Save Topic
Is PR safe? (San Juan, Manatí, and San Germán)

I haven't been to Puerto Rico since I was 8 and I'm going in a couple of days, for a week with my mom and brother. I've been researching online and am a little scared of going. After reading things about La Perla, the carjackings, and traffic lights turning into stop signs after midnight I have become very concerned and paranoid.

For the most part I know that we are going to stay with my uncle in Manatí and visit my cousins in San Germán. Are those areas generally safe? Is there anything I should look out for and do these places have any reputations?

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is PR safe? (San Juan, Manatí, and San Germán)

Relax! You will be fine! If you don't do illegal business (drugs and such), you have nothing to worry about. PR in general is safe as long as you don't go looking for drugs and other illegal and/or shady business. Stay away from shady areas at all times, lock the car doors when driving at night, and you will be ok.

La Perla is simply "that" community every other city has where drugs and other illegal activities take place. Therefore, no one that is not a resident of that community should be going there. Let's put it this way: if Phoenix has a community known to be dangerous, would you go near it? La Perla is no different.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,435 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is PR safe? (San Juan, Manatí, and San Germán)

There have not been any recent carjackings, at least not more than in any city in the US.

La Perla is a small community isolated within OSJ. No risk of walking there by mistake. And if you do, nothing will happen to you. PRicans are respectful towards tourists.

Briefly stopping at red lights after midnight on empty intersections is common sense. There are no outlaws waiting to kill you. It is just a precaution. I do that in the States as well.

From what I've heard on the newd, Phoenix is considered a dangerous city. Is that your perception? Don't trust the media too much.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,223 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is PR safe? (San Juan, Manatí, and San Germán)

Just like South Phoenix compared to Paridise Valley. The tourist areas are more like Scottsdale. You will be fine.

Phoenix, Arizona
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is PR safe? (San Juan, Manatí, and San Germán)

I actually live in a small quiet town in Arizona. When I signed up I just generally put Phoenix down for my location. But thank you everyone. I feel better about going, I haven't traveled much so I was being paranoid.

2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is PR safe? (San Juan, Manatí, and San Germán)

We went to PR around this time last year and we had the same concerns...I am happy to report that it was wonderful and safe, so much so that we are going again next week!!! There are so many wonderful places to explore...We loved it!!! Enjoy!!!

6. Re: Is PR safe? (San Juan, Manatí, and San Germán)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2015, 05:17