We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using cell phone while driving can cost $50, theoretically

Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Topic
Using cell phone while driving can cost $50, theoretically

Apparently, in April of 2014 Puerto Rico banned the use of cell phones while driving. While on my way to the airport to go back to the U.S., I got stuck in a traffic jam and used my phone. At the time, my car was moving intermittently at about 5 mph. The policeman directing the traffic around the jam saw me and gave me a $50 "usando celular transitando auto"-ticket. He said that the ticket had to be paid in person at a police station. I explained that I was leaving the country in about an hour and would like to mail the payment, or pay online. He told me that that was impossible, but that I don't really need to pay. A complicating factor was that the entire interchange was in Spanish, which I do not understand very well, and speak even less. Still, I did not believe the policeman's assurances and want to pay the ticket, but all my research on the internet about how to do so has been fruitless.

So, without dwelling any further on the weirdness of the system, my question is how can I pay my ticket from the U.S.? Thanks.

Edited: 22 August 2014, 03:57
San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
8,634 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using cell phone while driving can cost $50, theoretically

No, you can't pay from outside PR. And in fact you don't pay at the police station either. It is paid at the DTOP (more like the DMV).

Once they see the ticket was issued to a non-PR license the case is closed. They will not contact your state license, so you in fact did not get a ticket. No need to pay.

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,903 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Using cell phone while driving can cost $50, theoretically

The "no cell phone while driving" law went into effect in January 2013. For maybe 6 -8 months following that, we noticed fewer people using cell phones while driving. Today, based on the number of people talking/texting while driving, you'd hardly even know that we have that law on the books.

Tickets can be paid online, through the DTOP web site ... http://www.dtop.gov.pr/serviciosenlinea/ ... You need to provide a driver license number to sign up there, and they don't give you the opportunity to specify your State ... so they are assuming Puerto Rico

Worst thing that will happen if you don't pay is the ticket will be traced back to your rental car company, and they will send you a bill.

Or you can can come back during one of our "ticket amnesty" periods and pay the ticket at a discount! LOL

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
8,634 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using cell phone while driving can cost $50, theoretically

Do not worry about the ticket getting posted to the rental car. It was given to the driver, not the car, so you will be fine.

Ray, can you pay online for tickets just issued, or do you have to wait until they are posted online/in the DTOP system?

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,903 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Using cell phone while driving can cost $50, theoretically

@nytoparis ... I don't know the answer to that question.

5. Re: Using cell phone while driving can cost $50, theoretically

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2015, 05:17