We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feb. Final Details

Vermont
Level Contributor
87 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Feb. Final Details

I’ve been to Puerto Rico twice before with my daughter. Once for the purpose of baseball games (When the Expos played some of their “home games” in San Juan) and the second time for a long weekend. Both times I’ve loved our trip and experience in Puerto Rico! This time my husband and two other adults are going with my daughter (8) and I.

I’m interested in any suggestions/comments/questions/feedback about our plan…I’m pretty comfortable with most of the things that we’ve decided to do. I’m just looking for that “one thing” that I’m missing…

We arrive Friday afternoon (1:30) and will drive to Fajardo to take a plane (still trying to reserve with Vieques Air Link- hoping for late afternoon flight) to Vieques. We will be dropping off some of our luggage at Villa Sevilla on the way as we will be in Puerto Rico ten days and don’t need to bring all our stuff to Vieques. We will be spending two nights there in Vieques. We are doing the biobay tour and plan to spend whatever remaining time we have visiting beaches. We are staying at Casa Alta Vista and have a car rental through Island Car Rental. We are planning to eat at Tradewinds and maybe Island Steak House.

On Sunday we head back to the main island and our stay at Villa Sevilla for the next seven days. We do have a rental vehicle. We don’t want to spend many hours in the car each day but don’t mind doing some traveling.

We’ve made reservations with Erin go Bragh for one day.

We will go to Luquillo beach.

We will definitely spend time at the rain forest. On both prior trips we (daughter & I) did the trail to La Mina Falls (I think that was it?). A friend who traveled to Puerto Rico heard that the southern part of the rain forest was the best. Does that make sense? Where would that be? Should we do that instead?

We will spend one day in Old San Juan.

We are considering a day trip to Culebra- should we see if the Erin go Bragh can take us on another day? Should we fly from Fajardo for the day? Should we take the ferry? A tour?

I’ve been reading this forum often and read posts about the Lechon (pork roast?) – they sound interesting. I think the ohters in my group would be interested in that. Where can we find one? What would be the best day to go? Time?

Can you think of any other things that we should do? Or that one thing that would really make our trip special…. We are looking for laid back, relaxing, beach, enjoying each other’s company, not interested in big tourist places, etc…. We like good food, good company, and good drinks in a great setting.

First thanks for reading this long post….. and thanks for any comments, suggestions, feedback, etc….

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
197 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feb. Final Details

Hello-

Just wanted to say that my husband and I are also staying at Casa Alta Vista 2/10-2/13 for our 10th anniversary.

Our original plan was to fly into San Juan, rent a car, and drive to Fajardo and stay the night. We wanted to take a flight from Fajardo to Vieques the next day. I was having such a hard time getting anyone from Vieques Airlink to help with the flight so I ended up scrapping that idea. Now we are flying to Vieques right from the San Juan airport. We'll miss Luquillo but I think that we wouldnt have been able to spend much time there anyway -so thats for next time!

On 2/13 we are headed to the Marriott in San Juan for a couple of nights. We can't wait!

Jenni

puerto rico
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Feb. Final Details

Hi E &HT:

You will surely have fun!

Vieques is nice and calm, relax and laid back island style (main island used to be that way in the old days).

Culebra deserves more than a day trip; I like it even more than Vieques. So it is up to you to see if you can sleep over (I think Erin go Bragh does it also); we usually go in private boats and stay in the boats overnight, so I do no know about places to stay. One of the nicest beach in the world, yes in the world, is in Culebra and is named Flamenco Beach; it is definetly a must see. And by boat you explore also Culebrita tiny island in the northcoast beautiful also.

You are certainly scenery explorers (since you are staying at villa sevilla) so I recommend you go one night to the phosphorecent bay in Fajardo and explore it in kayacs (fabulous experience) you can rent them.

La Mina Falls is one of my favorits for security purposes especially for your 8 year old daughter. You have marked trails and everythin in el Yunque. It is been some time that I dont go to the southern part but last time years ago it was more of a wilderness adventure beautiful but not with marked safety trails. You can ask the people at villa sevilla they should know.

For adventure I personally like a place called "Las Pailas" between Luquillo and Fajardo which is a natural slope of water for sliding in the water. Ask for directions but do not go on a rainy day.

When in Old San Juan if you are staying till dark make reservations for diner at Dragonfly (not cheap but great food and atmosphere) in sofo (south of Fortaleza Street area)

In Luquillo go to a restaurant named "Sandys" (right in the town) excellent seafood.

As for the "lechon" you should try it (since it is very tasty) and go through the experience of also seeing it " a la varita" getting roasted. The best way is to go to Guavate area (the "lechon" route) in the the central mountain town named Cayey, only 45 minute car ride from San Juan. There as you drive up the hill you will get to see various restaurants along the roadside where you will see how it gets cooked and served in the typical way in outside big wood tables in a shack style. Weather in Cayey is cooler also. Best day in my opinion is a friday or saturday afternoon not too late so you get back into the expressway before dark. Sundays are too crowded because most places have music also and people dance and there is usually traffic because the road is only one lane up and another lane for coming down.

I personally go on fridays and eat at the first stop as you go under the expressway bridge on the right hand side named "Mojito", excellent food and you do not have to go up the hill; but for first timers it is good to go up the hill for the scenery and to see the whole "thing" since you already made it there.

Now you know you are not the only one that does long posts.

Enjoy your adventourous island real thing trip, you will taking the best of PR with you. Adios.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feb. Final Details

Type in "roast pig" in the search box above and you will find previous posts that dealt with that subject as well as recommendations.

Vermont
Level Contributor
87 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feb. Final Details

Jenni- I’d be interested to hear about your stay at Casa Alta Vista. Have a great trip!

Beachlover- Can you give me any more information about Las Pailas- it sounds interesting.

Also, a previous poster mentioned a 4-wheeler trip- does anyone have more information about that?

Thanks very much for the information.

5. Re: Feb. Final Details

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 19:18