We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isla Verde = Most Seaweed?..

chicago
Level Contributor
466 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Isla Verde = Most Seaweed?..

I Google-Earth’ed Isla Verde – looks mighty nice, yes – however- it seems, at least on Google Earth, that the entire shoreline is covered with thick and wide stripe of seaweed.

Having said that, it also looks like all other beach areas (Condada, etc) are seaweed-clear.

Can someone comment please; is this a seasonal thing or what? Or is there normally tons of seaweed in Isla Verde? Please help; I hate seaweed. We swim a lot. Local experts? I was looking at ESJ Towers (which supposed to be a nice beach area… what’s up with the brown stuff).

San Juan Snorkel and Picnic Cruise
707 reviews
from US$83.00*
Special Offer
Old San Juan Sunset Sail
32 reviews
from US$66.50*
US$95.00
Old San Juan Walking Tour
202 reviews
from US$40.00*
Old San Juan Food Tour
270 reviews
from US$92.19*
San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Isla Verde = Most Seaweed?..

Don't worry, it's seasonal and it disappears or appears when the currents change .

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,330 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isla Verde = Most Seaweed?..

Yep agree. it comes and goes. I just looked. Looks like the way the wind was blowing. Could have been a recent storm that tore it up and then blew in.

chicago
Level Contributor
466 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isla Verde = Most Seaweed?..

thanks ;)

whew.

we're going in December; hopefully it'll be clear then.

otherwise, the area looks so nice from the bird's eye view... can't wait.

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
323 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Isla Verde = Most Seaweed?..

chickchick -

We stayed at the ESJ hotel in early March; beach had a row of smelly seaweed that was not cleared away. We did not swim from the beach though walking past the Water Club the seaweed did begin to dissipate and there were swimmers.

I do know that seaweed is seasonal so you may be fine :) AND there are other beaches (Luquillo or Seven Seas) that had none.

5. Re: Isla Verde = Most Seaweed?..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 18:17