We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining suggestions for a foodie.

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
United States
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Dining suggestions for a foodie.

My girlfriend and I (we're in out late 20's) are going to San Juan for our 1st time in about a week. We're staying in Condado (Coral Princess Inn), but plan on exploring the surrounding areas too. We love to eat and try new and interesting foods in different locales. We would love some dining suggestions. We'd probably like to go to 1 or 2 fine dining places. We'd also really like to find some unique and off the beaten path spots too. For these, the more authentic, the better. We'd really like to eat at some of the places that the locals enjoy, and not just the tourist hotspots. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Guaynabo, Puerto...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining suggestions for a foodie.

Hi

You will have plenty of choices.

Personal likes in Condado / Isla Verde:

Miros' for seafood

Ropa Veija Grill for Cuban / Puerto Rican

In Old San Juan:

Parrot Club

Tantra for Indian

El Hamburger

For local taste try any of the food kiosks at Luqillo beach close to El Yunque

Check out the posts here:

http://www.visit-the-coqui.com/home

Try to get top El Yunque rainforest:

visit-the-coqui.com/places-to-see/…

have fun

Guaynabo, Puerto...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining suggestions for a foodie.

Whops forgot

If money is not an issue try Pikayo in the Museum de Arte in san Juan

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Dining suggestions for a foodie.

Geewonder, For a really elegant dining experience try Chayote on Miramar Ave. About 10 minutes by taxi from the Condado

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dining suggestions for a foodie.

Agree with above suggestions. Here are some more:

Condado- Cielito Lindo for Mexican- across the street from The Coral Princess

Zabo - also in Condado

Old San Juan- Parrot Club- trendy Caribbean- always consistent and good- nice place for brunch as well- www.oofrestaurants.com

Carli's in OSJ- www.carlisworld.com

More traditional PR-

La Bombonera in OSJ- go for breakfast Mallorcas- toasted and buttered and sprinkled with powdered sugar!

El Jibarito in OSJ- www.eljibaritopr.com

Cafe Puerto Rico- www.cafepuertorico.com

Spanglish Cafe - also in OSJ

El Meson sandwiches- various chains everywhere - but there is one on San Francisco St in OSJ

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dining suggestions for a foodie.

Just a cautionary note: the food at Carli's is very good, but it's also very, very expensive.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dining suggestions for a foodie.

Hello fellow Foodie, you've got here pretty good recomendations. I just want to add:

- Cafe Berlin in Old San Juan, some vegan plates and good for a light lunch.

- Metropol in Isla Verde for great local food, lots of locals.

- Buenos Ayres in Condado, for grrrreat steaks.

- La Mallorca in Old San Juan, local food, excellent lunch specials.

- Great Taste, in Condado... nearby restauranteurs frequent this excellent Chinese restaurant. Be sure to try the Dumplings.

Don't forget the strip of kiosk's in the roadside of Loiza.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dining suggestions for a foodie.

Agree about Great Taste in Condado- love the dumplings!

Also La Mallorca in OSJ- San Francisco St- since a lot of people head to La Bombonera it seems a little easier to find a spot to have breakfast or lunch here.

Ohio
Level Contributor
490 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dining suggestions for a foodie.

What about Dragonfly? I sort of had that picked out for our upcoming trip. Parrot Club better?

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,763 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dining suggestions for a foodie.

Dragonfly is very good- Asian inspired. Dinners are served family style, so you can try each others food.

Parrot Club- A light and airy place- food is kind of Caribbean inspired PR food. Also very good.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Dining suggestions for a foodie.

Agree with above. Parrot Club has a tropical feel to it. If you want to try both go to Dragonfly for dinner and then next day go to Parrot for brunch( they are right across the street from each other...and Aguaviva is next to Dragonfly).

The last time I took out of town friends- we did end up going to Parrot both for dinner and then brunch- I thought it might have been pushing my luck, but both times were great and my friends loved it.

We did not go to Dragonfly because it was too crowded at the time and lucked out finding a spot at Parrot's at 9pm.

Another place where locals go for great seafood is La Tasca del Pescador in front of Santurce's Plaza De El Mercado- Calle Dos Hermanso 178. This is a small place- locals flock to this place for lunch- the wait is worth it. Sit outside !!

I also forgot about Pamela's for beachfront dining in Ocean Park( at The Numero Uno Guest house)

Also Kasalta Bakery in Ocean Park- try the Quesitos!!!