We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging in El Yunque

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
165 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lodging in El Yunque

We are looking for lodging for a family of 5 during Dec 2007 (3 adults, 2 children). I have looking for lodging around El Yunque, with forrest surroundings (forest sounds, forest views etc).

Most of the places I looked at either did not take children or wanted more than 2 nights. We would only be staying here for 2 nights.

The reason I choose El Yunque lodging while touring El Yunque, Loquillo and Fajardo is becasue the rest of the trip we will be staying near the beach such as Vieques and Culebra so forest setting might be a good change. Do you disgaree with this decision or do you have recommend differently?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,288 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging in El Yunque

I love the rain forest and have rented a home for a week. It is cooler and sounds of the coqui's at night is something to be heard. It has a 3 day minimum. El Yunque is not the only rain forest in puerto rico. Yes it is the Caribbean National forest. the west side of the island also has forests and coffee plantations. There are small Inns and paradors for under $100 that are wonderful. Puerto Rico has 2 mountain ranges with a central valley. There are fresh water lakes etc. Much to see.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging in El Yunque

I have a place in the El Yunque that can accommodate your family of 5 for 2 nights. www.Coquishideaway.com

I think you will enjoy the El Yunque area- it is peaceful and close enough to a number of great things to do.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
491 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging in El Yunque

That looks fantastic, Flowerfarm! I'll keep this for next April when I bring my sister and her fiance out to visit for her first time!

Joplin, MO
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging in El Yunque

It's kind of hard to say whether you should stay in El Yunque National Rainforest or stay closer to the beach and simply travel up to El Yunque for the day. We did the latter, and I thought it turned out to be a good idea. One of the things that struck me on my trip there last week, was that El Yunque, contrary to my expectations, is not an IMAX quality rainforest. I was expecting something like the Amazon rainforest which I have seen on IMAX, or like the tropical rainforest in Sri Lanka, in which I stayed in a jungle lodge as a child. We saw several land snails and quite a few insects, (we were turning over logs and looking for them) but we saw few birds and no reptiles, let alone anything large. (There are very few mammalian species in Puerto Rico because it is an island, and the life forms came there on the wind, or on branches, or on a boat. No mammals unless you count things like horses, cows, dogs, cats, rats and so on imported from the mainland. We did hear coqui frogs during a rainshower, but you can hear them all over the island. (The kids were whistling the coqui frog call by the time we'd been three days in Puerto Rico.) There was dense undergrowth in the rainforest, which you generally do NOT see in tropical rainforests. This is because hurricanes and landslides bring down trees more often than, say, in the Amazon, and so El Yunque is a YOUNG rainforest, rather than the old growth primary rainforest that I once saw in my youth, the memory of which has stayed with me ever since. I hadn't realized that before I went. On the other hand, El Yunque is a very safe rainforest for a hike with kids and elders; no jaguars to worry about, no venemous snakes, no scorpions, and even the worst spiders have very mild venom.

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging in El Yunque

We stayed in the rainforest and loved it. We saw anoles all over the place (two different species), several different kinds of coquis, amphisbaenids, a Puerto Rican racer and an ameiva.

If you have no experience being in a rainforest (we did not), you will be enchanted. We loved the sights and sounds. Unforgettable!

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging in El Yunque

El Yunque is great and full of vegetation, old and new. Temperature is very nice, specially on December when you'll be coming to PR. What you should be aware is that you are not visiting "the jungle" ... What you will see is exuberant vegetation, plants endemic to PR, little rivers, falls, etc., but Tarzan wont be there...neither tigers or jaguars. The Rain Forrest is very safe as long as you do not leave the trails or hava a guide that knows the area. . More that 20 "adventurous" americans have been lost 24-48 hrs, from time to time.

El Yunque is rich in sounds during the mornings and evenings. You just have to edutate your ear to distinguish the different birds and other small animals. Bring your binoculars and stay quiet ! With good vision and patience, you may also see some petrogliphs on the rocks near the falls.

Coqui's hideaway will be enjoyed by your kids and definitely is a good "operations" place to explere the east side of the island.

Joplin, MO
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Lodging in El Yunque

I saw far more creatures: anoles, birds, land crabs, and insects of all kinds, at Las Cabezas de San Juan than in El Yunque, and there was far in the way of bird song and insect noises. I would think about a trip to Las Cabezas, if you want to show your kids the land creatures of Puerto Rico. Truthfully, I've seen far more varieties of avian, reptile, insect, and mammalian species in an afternoon sitting on my porch at the lake house than I saw on land in Puerto Rico. (The water however, is a different matter. Puerto Rico has a HUGE variety of undersea life.)

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
364 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lodging in El Yunque

You will not find lodging inside the Forest unless you decide to camp at no cost. Nevertheless, you should check the Puerto RIco Tourism Company official website for a list of hotels with all the permits, insurance, and endorsements: www.gotopuertorico.com and www.travelandsports.com.

Good luck.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lodging in El Yunque

Just to set the record straight:

There are a number of inns and guest houses within the Forest boundaries. However if you want to camp, you can do that for free (with permission) inside the Federal "ownership" boundaries of the Forest.

There are quite a few inns and guest houses that have all necessary permits and have insurance that are not listed on the PRTC sites. Owners of hotels, inns, and guest houses can chose to pay to be included in those sites. Not being included does not imply that a unit does not comply with any set of standards.

Enjoy your stay in the rain forest!

St. Paul, Minn.
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Lodging in El Yunque

Check out Sue's place at : www.rainforestrental.com

Bob and Sue were fabulous hosts!!

We could not have been more pleased!!!!